health class in school

As you know parents are given the option to sign a paper to excuse their child from sex ed and other health classes. My parents always allowed us but was wondering the reasoning behind those that say no. Is it religion or just the parent wanting to explain it themselves? Always been curious! TIA =)

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• This class was offered in 5th & 6th grade for my son and I signed him out of the class because, although he is high functioning, he is still developmentally delayed and at that time was not ready for the experience.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My son had sex ed from 4-8 grade and I was glad for it. A nurse taught the classes so she was able to answer questions that I couldn't. The parents I know that sign their kids out of health class, just don't want their kids to know the information but they don't want to teach it either. Those parents are the ones whose kids ended up pregnant at 16 and wondered why or how because the kids weren't taught about sex, protection,etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Sometimes it's religious because catholics do not believe in using birth control.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• For alot of parents I think that they would rather teach their kids sex at home. My kids always had those classes, I never had a problem with it.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 6:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2010