Today Show on Marriages

So, I'm watching the Today show. They are talking about marriage.

So, if you are married, would you leave your spouse if you found your "Soul Mate?" What would you tell your spouse and children? (Assume all the stories are true. You lock eyes, and know in an instant.)

What would you do about your children?

If you would stay with your spouse, why would you stay? What would you do about your soul mate?

I like to think I'd stay with my spouse (though I don't have one now.) I've been married, and nothing else mattered. No matter who hit on me, or my feelings for them, I was faithful, though flattered, and sometimes tempted. He cheated, and left, and turned out to be a monster, so I'm glad it ended. All the same, I was not the one who ended it, nor do I think I would have been, unless I had found out he was a monster earlier.

So??

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 11:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Maybe the life they had with their original spouse sucked and they were miserable which means to me they left the marriage bc they knew it wasn't working. Then they decided to pursue their life together. If I remember the article correctly (it was originally in print and the Today Show brought it up) they did not cheat on their spouse. They both ended the marriages and moved on. Half of all marriages end in divorce so what makes their's any different than any other one that didn't work out?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• "Soulmate" is used a little too loosely IMO. It takes an established relationship, love and trust to know if someone is meant for you. Not a glance. An immediate glance to me seems more like lust than love
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• How do I know? I just do. It's not something that can be explained. We have been through many ups and downs in our married life together. Not once have I ever wanted to cheat or leave my husband for another man. I know every detail about my husband- what makes him happy, sad, cry, angry, etc. I know where the scare on his left hand came from and I felt the pain when it happened to him even though we were 7,000 miles away from each other and it was days before he was able to tell me about it. I can't imagine not growing old with him. He is my soul mate and there is no else that could replace him,

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I don't buy into the idea of 'love at first sight' or recognizing your soul mate at first glance. Infatuation is commonly mistaken for love, and sure, one can turn into the other. But truly loving someone means you are willing to sacrifice or fight for them, which takes more to knowing someone than eye contact and hormones.

I love my husband and daughter with all my heart, and there is no other person in the world that would make me give them up. I've had a crush or two over the years, but I recognize it for being shallow and selfish on my part. I know what I have at home is perfect for me. Other guys may be more romantic or better looking, but they also come with their own flaws.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Turning the question around...if my DH husband found someone that he considered his "soul mate" I would want him to go. I really do love him and if he was happier elsewhere I would want him to have that.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It has only been a couple of years, but we feel like we are soul mates. We met in our 20's, went our separate ways, he married, I had a child. I got a phone call one night, I couldn't believe it, my friend, lover, thought of me and I of him. He had got a divorce and we got together. Lightening doesn't strike in the same place very often, I took the leap of faith and we have a beautiful 3 month dd. I believe that ppl have soul mates and it is so wonderful, it's scary.  I am always telling him to be careful, I don't know what I would do without him.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 6:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well I am not out looking for a soul mate because my needs are met with my hubby. So I am staying put and working on this commitment.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My spouse is my soul mate.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• How do you know, JeremysMom?
    mrskrisher

Comment by mrskrisher (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Here is the link to the story...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40763821/ns/today-relationships/
    mrskrisher

Comment by mrskrisher (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2010