When it's time for my daughter to start shaving her legs...

which is very soon since she is asking already, is it also appropriate to discuss shaving her pubic hair? From what I hear and read about this subject, most of the girls these days do it anyway as part of normal grooming, and it's supposed to be better hygiene. So for those who have been through this, is this normal, and should I bring it up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't. That will come way later.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't. She could figure that out by herself. If my mother brought that up it would have been extremely weird.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I started shaving when I was 11 and so did my daughter. Now the pubic thing, I didn't start doing that till much later and I never asked my parents about when it was okay to start doing it and neither did my daughter, she just did it.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't until she brings it up, if she does. Also, if she is already asking about shaving her legs, she is ready to do so.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would wait until later..if you notice she needs to trim it in the summer when she is wearing a swim suit you can bring it up then. I would just do one thing at a time.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Since she asked, it is time. She may be getting teased about "hairy knees"...
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I have a 16 yr old and I allowed her to shave her legs when she became embarrassed about having hairy legs.... when she asked, it was time to start.

She does trim her private area... but I did not suggest it... it came naturally during the summer when she was wearing bathing suits.  I would just let that one come naturally.  If you are open about her personal hygiene then she will most likely come to you with questions.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:29 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• if shes asking, i would let her..i wouldnt talk about the private area tho..she'll figure that one out on her own..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:10 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• no i wouldnt mention it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• my daughter started shaving at eleven. I would not mention anything about shaving private area.
    sweetiecg

Answer by sweetiecg at 4:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2010