Formula Feeding Help

My DD is 8 month old today and is small (27 in and 17.6 lbs) on a normal day she only drinks 20 oz of formula and eats 2 tbsp of Cream of Wheat with 1 oz of stage 2 fruit, for lunch and dinner she has 1/2 a jar of fruit and 1/2 jar of veggies for a total of 2 jars of food. I am wanting to increase her formula but after reading everything I could I am confused as to just how much she needs. Her Ped said that 20 oz is fine but I am starting to think it is just not enough for such a small girl.

She is VERY interested in table foods but she wants everything and it seems like she never gets enough. 3 or 4 bites is never enough for her. She seems to not have a shut off point when it comes to food. I know that she still needs formula to grow but I am wondering if I should take her off of solids or reduce them to a much smaller amount and focus on formula.

How much formula should she have and how do I go about reducing her solids?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 11:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd give her what she wants. She isn't tiny. :) My son is only almost 19 pounds and he is a month older than her and boys are bigger and expected to be bigger.

If she wants to try some table foods let her... my son grabs for our plates now so we started with him, lol.... either we were going to start or he was going to take it for himself! :)

He drinks about four 8 ounce bottles a day of formula. That's only if we're lucky. Mostly he wants to EAT! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would let her be the judge. Baby's bodies know what they need. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• 32 ounces of formula a day for full nutritional needs. Don't need to reduce the solids, per say, just give her a bottle before offering solids every time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It actually sounds like she is getting plenty, and if your dr. says it is enough then you are fine. I was always worried that my son wasn't getting enough to eat too but I think that is just mommy worry. He ate about the same amount at that age and usually ate somewhere between 20-24 oz of formula a day. Being little means she will eat less-not such a big tummy!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• reduce her solids by putting a 1/2 teaspoon of cereal in her formula 3 times a day. mix a little baby fruit 2 take the bitter taste away. that should help u take the solids away 4 now.
    frogger41

Answer by frogger41 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• She's isn't tiny at all. She sounds average sized. My oldest was tiny. She was only 18lbs when she turned 1. 17lbs at 8 months is normal sized. At that age my kids were mostly eating table food with four 8oz bottles in between (so 32oz) but it was a little after that when I started to ween them off of the extra one so that when they turned 1 they were down to just 1 bottle a day.
    Just give her table foods. At 8 months my 4yo was eating anything we were within reason. She completely refused baby food and took 4 bottles a day (6-8oz). As long as she is growing she is fine and if the doctor isn't worried I wouldn't worry.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh dear God frogger, you do NOT put cereal in a baby's bottle! OP, don't put cereal in your baby's bottle!
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't reduce her solids. and your baby will grow in her own time. you can't force a baby to grow, so it won't matter what you do. My baby was underweight until she was 2 years old. There's really nothing you can do to speed the process of growth. i think you are being a worry wart. If you really have concerns, you should talk to the pediatrician. your pediatrician says that everything is fine, but you still don't want to believe it.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2010