Should I heed the warning?

My ex is always talking crud about things and over exaggerating. But this time what he said has really gotten my mind buzzing and I can't get it out of my head.

He called to "warn" me that his dad (who works as a civilian and retired military personell oversea's in Afghanistan) said that the military thinks there will be an econocmic collapse soon and that they are all getting prepared. That they are collecting first aid kits, food, etc and storing it in safe locations in their homes (kind of like a bomb shelter or basement).

The ONLY reason this has stuck with me is due to the current economic situation and because of my children. I worry that if I don't heed the warning and prepare (we already have some non-perishable foods and first aid kits in our home obviously, but the way he talked they were collecting lots of food and advanced first aid supplies for extreme emergencies) then I am jeapordizing the safety and health of my children.

He said that the people who were not prepared would be called "zombies" by the military as they would be the one's running around breaking into places, stealing things, attacking people, etc to survive.

Should I heed the warning and start collecting non-perishable foods and extra first aid supplies and other items? We would have to do this slowly as we already work around a small enough budget monthly.

Or should I treat it as the rest of his "information" in the past where he was simply over reacting about everything?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• This isn't the first time I've heard this and I didn't hear it from military personnel. Better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• its always a good idea to be prepared.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wouldnt worry yourself over this but an emergency kit is great for ANY situation. always be prepared for a disaster weather its natural or not
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well, even FEMA recommends having a disaster survival kit on hand, preferably enough for a minimum of 3 days, but preferably longer, so it is not an unreasonable thing to put together. Here's the FEMA link with the info: http://www.ready.gov/america/index.html
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I have heard you should rotate out your food. Keep a month supply of canned goods and stock the pantry from the back so you always have food that isnt expired. I would gradually add canned goods to your pantry..myabe whe they are on sale buy 10 to 15 cans. Only stock up on stuff you actually use..like veggies, fruits, stuff to make chili etc. If you stock pil ein the basement it wont stay good unless you keep using and filling as you go kwim? Its always a good idea to have some wxtra water and such but I wouldnt keep more than a months supply.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Better safe than sorry....
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 11:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would get ready.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I am Anon 1 - heard it probably within the last year or two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• ANON - Have you heard it recently or just in the past over time and in different economic times?

Thanks!
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• ANON #2, the smart ass answer wasn't necessary or warranted here. I am not one of those people who falls for everything.... who believes only what I am told.... etc. But I DO happen to worry when there is a possibility this could be a legit warning from his father who has higher intel than you or I.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2010