Is there anything I should do to prepare my 14 month old for a new baby?

My daughter is 14 months old, and her baby sister will be born in April. That will make her 18 months when the baby comes. Is there something I should be doing to prepare her? Or do toddlers just fall right into the swing of things with a new baby. I could talk to her and tell her, but I'm not sure if she'd have any idea what I was talking about.

Gemska

Asked by Gemska at 11:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'll be in your shoes come May, BUMP!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Congratulations! :)
    Gemska

Comment by Gemska (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I have 2 that are 18 months apart and two more that are 20 months apart. For the most part, with both of them they older one pretty much ignored the baby for the first few months. I did "stockpile" inexpensive toys from the Dollar Store or craigslist to pull out and occupy the older one when the baby was newborn and needed me for a few minutes. Both of them adjusted amazingly well to their younger siblings and my 9 and 10 year old have always played really well together - I'm looking forward to my 25 month old and 5 month old getting to that point!

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Get her a baby dolly, and let her know about all the similarities.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2010