Can't believe how rude this is ! Time for a new babysitter !

I recently got married... I have 2 boys from a previous relationship, they are 1 and 2 years old... My husband is able to adopt them in March ( 6 months after getting married ) ... and his family as been treating them as if they are really his kids ( I am also 5 months pregnant ).....So of course I am always tired and I also have to work... One of my husbands cousins also has 2 small kids and her husband lost his job so she said she would watch my boys ( she knew we were looking for a babysitter) ... so she would watch them both from afternoon to night ( usually when I would work, and then I would go home and get a quick nap before picking them up) ... I would give hr $20 for each day she watched them...

Everything was good for awhile I was even glad I had her because she would feed them and bath them and i wouldnt have to worry about it...but then she would call and say she couldnt watch them if they were sick ... I thought tht was crappy because they are 4 small kids, one of them will always be sick...

Then I had texted her and told her in January she will only be watching my 1 year old because i am sending my 2 year old to daycare and that i will only be paying her $10 .... she wrote back and said ok, but then wrote back and asked if she could get $15 or if I would bring his own food..... and I thought that was rude and I wrote back and told her nevrmind, that i decide i will just send my 1 year old to daycare too since I couldnt keep finding another sitter everytime the kids were sick.. and then she wrote back that the only time her kids were ever sick is when I would send my kids sick... GRRRR I am just so mad, she doesnt understand that kids will always be sick, that is theirnature.... I am just so glad I decided to send them to daycare instead of to her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• HaHa, good luck on sending your kids to daycare sick. They will call you immediately to come pick them up. I hate to tell you this put, from what you just told us, you were the one being rude.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Wow, $15 a day for one kid and meals are provided? What a deal. And no daycare is going to take your child when they're sick either and especially not for $15 a day. You're lucky to have her watching your kids and should pay the extra money.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• is there more to the story because it sounds like it. i don't think necessarily she was rude but she had a right to ask for $15 and to ask to send in food. i use to send in food and still do to my dd daycare. yes i understand you think she was rude for saying that her kids don't get sick unless your kids were around. that was kind of rude i believe so but maybe they are just too sheltered. maybe she doesn't need your kids around to prove to her that her kids will get sick anyways. maybe this all happened for a reason. good luck with everything.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree with Jeremy's mom.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i agree with jeremys mom on this one. I run a daycare out of my house and anytime that a parent brings a sick child in to my home i make them either take them back home or send them home. In a situation like this you cant keep sending your kids over to her house when they are sick because they will just keep giving it to each other. Put your self in her shoes, would you want her kids over at your house getting your kids sick?? and if your kids are sick all the time then maybe they should see a doctor. and as for you taking them to a daycare and if they are sick, they will send them home and wont let you return them until they are better. Ive worked in a daycare. Good luck !
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Time for a reality check. $10 a day or even $15 is really inexpensive. My bff owns a daycare center and she charges $9/hr for drop ins. The cheapest full time child, not children, is $20 per day.

And I cannot blame her for not wanting to watch anyone else's sick kids. You cannot send your sick child to daycare, ok, maybe the sniffles, but a sick child - not so much.

I get that you are tired. Been there, done that, still doing it even though the kids are older. But this woman was doing you a serious favor. Maybe you should be grateful for the inexpensive, quality child care you got. You might not find that at daycare, especially the bathing part.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Hi I work for a CCR&R (child care resource and referral agency that helps all types of child care providers) and I can tell you for sure that a child care center will not be any more tolerant of you bringing your children sick. Probably much less flexible actually. I would definitely try to work things out with your current sitter since you are getting a bargain on the price and you seem to happy with the way she taked care of your kids. I would find a back up provider for when your kids are sick and skip the day care.
    Good Luck:)
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 12:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You were getting a good deal with her. I have to pay $20 a day for one baby, and provide his formula and baby food. This was someone in their home. It'd cost even more at a daycare. Also, like the other posters said, most daycares will not watch sick children either. It's also going to be very hard to find quality care during those hours you work, since most daycares are only open during the day. I'm sorry you felt offended, but I'd rethink my decision if I were you.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• And if you didn't doubt yourself on this why would you post anon? Just sayin...............
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i agree i do not send my dd to her daycare provider when she is really really sick. she gets the sniffles here and there but i even feel bad when she has that.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2010