If you are athiest......

why do you feel a need to answer a question asked about God or Christian's? I do not answer questions about being athiest so why do you have to answer questions about being Christians? And then be rude about it?

tichelle

Asked by tichelle at 12:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Some people feel that their beliefs should be held by everyone, otherwise they're just ignorant and it's their job to inform everyone of the truth. I see this on both sides of the coin. I truly don't think you can convince someone the way they need to believe, especially if you're being rude. It's a hard thing for some to understand that a person's belief is a very personal thing, more feelings than facts, and you really can't change someone else's feelings. We need to respect each other and stop being so judgemental. I expect it from others, but it often doesn't turn out that way.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• In turn, why do christians feel the need to be completely condescending, and dictate what/who/where/why others are permitted to participate in. And then invalidate their opinions on the basis of belief... THEN, become angered at the simple fact of being made aware of the existence of those who do not share their beliefs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Here let me answer to save some time---
    "Atheist know more about God than Christians."
    "This is a belief section, not a Christian section Christians are arrogant to think that theirs is the only religion around."
    "Atheists are not rude. Athiests are innocently answering questions and Christians are the ones misunderstanding."
    (These are not my answers but answers that are most repeated. I for one like your question, but this sums it up)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Not all the answers were rude, merely sharing a different position. However when you post in a public forum, such as answers, you can expect to get answers from all sides. Those that agree with you, those that don't, those that share a different position, and those that are rude and condescending. If you can't handle a difference of opinion perhaps you'll find more comfort in a group setting rather than a public setting.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Because I have the right to answer any question I wish. Some questions in R&B are pretty general and you don't have to be a theology major to understand what's being asked. But I agree with the reply above me (KristiS), if you don't want differentiating opinions, then go to a Christian only message board.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Must you lump us all together??

I do leave a lot of questions alone, especially when For Christians is in the title. But since this is an open forum for all beliefs, I'll answer if I feel I have something interesting or humorous to contribute. I was a Christian once and still have plenty of family members who are.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• – collapse
    Interesting that some say Athiests know more about God than Christians.... but the huge difference is.. they know in head but not in heart... Christians for the most part have a relationship and that makes the biggest difference of all.
    Why do they answer... my honest answer is this... hunger. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• What 2tineyhineys said!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My views are in between what's typically thought of as atheist and theist, so I just answer if the question interests me and if I feel like I have something to contribute. I also USED to be a Christian, so I can still speak from my own past experience as a Christian and from knowledge of theology in general. I often answer atheist questions too, if I feel like I can relate to what they are trying to say, or if I feel like I have something to add to the discussion. Most of the time I try to be considerate and respectful in my answers, but I'm sure it's possible for things to be taken in ways I don't mean, particularly when people think any view different from theirs in wrong. I try to be polite, especially if I'm discussing ideas outside of my (current) beliefs and philosophical views. That said, this is a public forum with lots of views and people are going to have bad days and say rude things occasionally. I expect it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Just because i'm not christian doesn't mean i don't hve something relevant and appropriate to the discussion. You want christians only to answer, then go to a christian board. This is an open board for all religions, so you will get some people who disagree.
    Go get your big girl panties and deal with it.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010