What do you do to teach you kids good table manners?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 12:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I use good table manners. If they do something they shouldn't, I either tell them the correct way or! This is their favorite and gets their attention! I mirror their bad manners and ask if it's "polite or not polite". It usually gets my point across! (In other situations too).
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Children learn by example.....

Answer by older at 12:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We eat at the table every night and reinforce good habits. We model good manners, praise good behaviors and stop and correct any rude behaviors before it becomes a habit.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• When my kids were in early elementary school we had a "manners supper" We made a huge game out of it - the supper was to be held on a specific night and they kids had to earn so many points to attend. Each night at supper they could earn X number of points by putting their napkin in their lap, keeping elbows off the table, etc. They could have points deducted for each infraction. They ended up all 3 being able to attend the special "supper" (we had their favorite foods/desserts). After that time, we haven't had any problem with manners, but it wouldn't be too hard to repeat if needed.

Answer by missanc at 3:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We lead by example. The same with manner in general. My son teachers every year tell me he has the best manners in class.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2010