Does my 1yr old eat too much?

My almost 1yr old son eats
breakfast about 8am : a whole banana, 1 pk. oatmeal, and cheerios
about 10 am: 8oz bottle
about noon: three pieces of turkey (a serving) 6 crackers (a serving), 1/4 cup cooked broccoli and 2 peacies of cheese (a serving)
about 3pm: 8oz bottle
about 5pm: pasta, bread (plain), pears and salad (no dressing)
about 8:30pm: 8oz bottle

this is just a typically day, by the way he is 50th percentile for weight and 95 percentile for height/ lenght

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i think it sounds good to me.. i don't think he over eats.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My daugter was eating so much at 1. She ate since birth and gained so much weight along with the nickname "tubby". She is now 1 year and 8 months and doesnt eat very much, and has thinned out and maintained her weight without gaining so much so quick. I personally feel that the children eat the amounts they "need" to grow. It is up to the parent to make sure the child is getting healthy balanced meals, and per your list, it sounds fine :)
    CynCity281

Answer by CynCity281 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• sounds just about right. sounds good.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well if he's a year old he does NOT need those bottles - replace them with a sippy of water and a snack. He needs more fruits and especially veggies - at snack time is a great way to get them in. Also it sounds like you're being good about no excess sugars/fats/etc - so instead of the packets of oatmeal, make real oatmeal (those packets are sooooo high in sugar). And he doens't need pasta AND bread at one meal, replace one of the other with another lean protein. The food pyramid website would be a great resource for you.
    Anonymous

• i don't think that he's eating too much, but i agree that you should work on doing away with the bottles, and instead offer water and a snack of some sort.
    asil

Answer by asil at 5:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• all of that sounds really healthy, i think you are doing a wondreful job at getting him to eat all of the food groups minus all the junk...good for you mama...keep up the great work !!!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It sounds fine to me. My son never ate that much at that age, but all babies are different. If he's hungry, let him eat! Sounds like he's growing a lot if he's in the 95th percentile for height.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• sounds like he is doing great!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Sounds normal.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Sounds Good to me.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2010