were u nervous to meet your s/o parents for the 1st time?

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• I was very nervous. I was going to go to their house for dinner on a week night. The Sunday before I was sitting on the lawn of DH's apartment about 10 am. Up walk the future in laws. I couldn't have looked less put together (I had just brought DH and a his buddy some breakfast as they had gone fishing and beer drinking the day before.) Ice broken. They came to my house for dinner that night, we cooked the fish and nearly 18 years later I'm just another daughter in their family.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• we met before we were dating. we were best friends first
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yes, and it's perfectly normal. Just try to be yourself. Be polite, ask them some questions like how did they meet, how old were they when they got married, ask about their jobs, compliment their house. People never tire of talking about themselves, and if you can get the questions going, they won't have as much time to ask you things. Befor you go, think of some things they might ask you, and have some answers ready. Dress simply and conservatively. If you're going to their house, take them a small gift, like some homebaked cookies.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yes, totally normal, I felt I was under their microscope!

Answer by older at 12:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Absolutely terrified, and we were already engaged, so there was a little extra pressure.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 12:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Haha Yup I knew they already hated me for taking their baby
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• yes I was
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 1:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh yah...who isn't!!!??
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I didn't know I as meeting them when I did and I wish I had warning. That day I was wearing a mini skirt and a very revealing top. I went through a phase where I finally realized I had a great looking body at the time and I wore stuff to show it off. SO yeah... After that day my MIL has hated me and in her mind I was a slut even though I have never slept around. Even till this day she dislikes me and has the same opinion on me. She refuses to get to know the real me.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• well i never got to meet my boyfriends mom or dad cause they both passed away before we got together but i did meet his aunt from his mom side & cousin & there nice & they like me so far
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2010