Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump


Answer Question

Asked by Respect466 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Adoption

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Basically, from what i understand, you go to an agency and do a bunch of paperwork and they do a homestudy. Then you tell them which countries you would want to adopt from, gender, anything else and they let you know when one is available.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • It depends on the country program and the agency..
    This is the Chinese process..
    Pick an agency.
    Fill out application and be approved.
    Begin Homestudy process, immigration process, and dossier process...fingerprints must be done, background checks, child abuse checks, etc... you receive your immigration approval, finished homestudy and then it must be state sealed and notarized. Once that is completed it gets translated and country authenticated before being sent to China. The current wait for a NSN referral is close to 5 years. The last set of referrals covered up to 5/29/06.
    Our process took 2 years from start to placement. ( almost 4 years ago)

    Answer by mcginnisc at 8:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • The process varies widely from country to country. The first step would be to contact some agencies and start narrowing down which countries you are interested in. But, as mcginnisc wrote you get agency approval, a homestudy, background checks, immigration approval. Once all the paperwork is done, your file is sent to the country and eventually you are matched with a child. If you accept the match you probably will then have to travel to the country to meet the child (sometimes 2x) and complete the adoption and apply for a visa for your child to enter the US. Finally, you travel home.

    Answer by DEpley at 9:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.