Mother in Law for Christmas.

Ok so I have family coming into town for Christmas, and so does my Hubby, but his mother wants to have Christmas dinner at her house that is just way to small for the crowd. My sisters don't like going to her place, because there is just really 1 room you can sit in and not much room to walk around. She lives alone in a 500 sf house. The kids won't even have room to run around or play with their toys and Christmas gifts. How can I get her to have Christmas dinner at my place without hurting her feeling??? My husband is a momma's boy and will do whatever his mother says and I truly do NOT WANT TO GO TO HER HOUSE...

TamikaJovan

Asked by TamikaJovan at 12:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Just try to explain that its not feasible for a crowd that size and the kids will have alot more room to run in their own environment and it would be more comfortable for them.... and explain that you will cook, and it saves her time lol.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• If I were you, I would tell your husband that you are having Christmas at your house, explain to him why it is more practical and then ask him if he wants you to call his mother or if he wants to. Then if you have to call her just tell her that you want the kids to be able to play with their new toys without being under everyone elses feet. Let her know she is more than welcome to help with the food (which my guess is why she wants to do it at her house) and if you don't mind offer to let her do most of the cooking. Mom's like to put on a feast for everyone it makes them feel appreciated and is something that they are usually pretty good at. Then give her all sorts of recognition for her hard work at dinner.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Tell her that you are afraid some of the people won't come because there isn't enough room, and that you are afraid something might get broken with that many kids with no place to play. Tell her it's her time to rest a bit, and you will do all the work, or if she has a special dish, she can bring that.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I forgot to say that she also went out and bought all the food to cook, cleaned house so that made it a little harder to tell her no. : (
    TamikaJovan

Comment by TamikaJovan (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• well just be honest with your mom inlaw & tell her that you have alot of people coming over & that she wont have enough room & that you want it at your house instead & she can do all the cooking at your house
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would call her up, explain that it's so very nice of her to want to host the holiday at her house, offer that if she doesn't want that big of a crowd, you could do it at your house, but the bottom line is, she's invited and planned for this, and it's one night of discomfort out of how many days of your life? You could make her day by going along with it, smiling, enjoying the time with family, regardless of how tight the quarters are, and not making waves over something that will probably bring you and your husband some funny memories to talk about years and years later. Sounds like she has good intentions, and she's not trying to be a pain in your bum. Good luck!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My husband is also a mommy's boy and his mom is the ruddest person in the world she is also annoying, disrespectful and very nosy. Just tell her you would feel more comfortable having christmas at your and it was nice of her to offer.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• She's being a little inconsiderate or stuck in her ways I think. Your hubby needs to show his support for you and tell her himself that it's not feasible and she's very welcome to come to your home.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Just tell her the there are to many people coming and her place is too small. ( the truth)So She either can have a dinner just for you guys a day later or she can cook dinner at your place or she can help you cook. You do the talking and do it fast before you hubby picks for you.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Ooh that's a tough one, as I well know b/c my children's father is the biggest momma's boy ever!! Idk about your hubby, but mine wouldv'e taken offense had I suggested my other relatives didn't want to go there and that it was "too small". Maybe try agreeing to go for dinner but only if you can leave within a certain time frame?
    xoluvmybabiesxo

Answer by xoluvmybabiesxo at 1:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2010