babysitting?

I have ran an ad for babysitting. I offered 60$ per week. She is going to college and may not need a full week. She asked what I would charge per hour. I don't really know what to tell her. ANy suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's going to depend on where you live, but I think $2.50 an hour is fair. But also be sure to clarify whether or not she will be providing food, diapers, etc.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Take what you suggested, the $60 per week, divide it by 7 so that you can have what it would be per day. Then divide that by 24, becasue I'm assuming you would charge anyway if you had to spend the night, so that you can have per hour. That way, you'll still be getting money for babysitting, and it would still be the amount, even if it is divided up into hours, that you were asking for. And if you don't get paid the $60 per week that you were stating originally, you will have the proof of how many hours you put in to balance it out. That's what I did when I babysat other people's kid, at least, before I had my own :).
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 12:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well, what you are charging for 8 hrs a day at 5 days a week is only a buck fifty. For the lack of security, I'd say $2 to $2.50. I was paying $2.50 an hour to family....
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 1:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh, but I'm in California. Different states have different regular prices, and different ideas of what's acceptable. I'm paying $90 bucks a week for 1/2 day day care right now... that's really good for my area!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 1:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Look at this link for care.com.  Use the pulldowns to get to the category you want.  It will give you an idea what people charge in your area.  Be good to yourself and don't be too cheap.  You are trying to earn a living.  GL

http://www.care.com/care-p1271.html

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• On an average work week you're charging $1.5 an hour. Tell her that amount, although in my personal opinion you should b e charging a little more.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 10:44 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Divid $60 by how many hours you would be babysitting.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2010