Have you ever taken a holiday and left your children for a little while?

My best friend wants to take me on a holiday next year for 7 days and I automatically said no. I have never left my children even for a night and I can't imagine ever doing it... However the idea of a holiday appealed! I'm still not sure though, I said maybe if we could cut it down to 3 days, since my parents would be happy to look after the children. But I still don't know if I could do it..

How about you guys?

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 1:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Travel

• I did it many times and each and every time I felt guilty and wished they were there with us.

Answer by older at 1:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• No and I do not think I could.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 1:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I have done it alot, my husband and I believe in our time together. But we have never gone more then 3 nights, I think 7 days is too much esp asking someone to take care of your kids that long. I say if you can swing it for 3 days do it, there is nothing wrong with it, esp if they will be with grandparents, they will have a lot of fun and its quality time for them to be together.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 1:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• When my son was about, we went on what was expected to be a 7 day vacation. I missed him so much and worried that he was missing me that I insisted on going home on the third day. When I got home, he wanted me to leave again. I found out he hadn't missed me at all, he was having a ball, and I was interrupting it by coming back so soon..
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Last year my husband and I went to Vegas. We were gone for 3 days & 2 nights. We've done a handful over overnight getaways but 2 nights is the longest we've every been away from our son. I'm not opposed to taking a longer vacation without him. He's not an infant anymore and as long as he's with my mother or something I trust completely I'm perfectly comfortable. Parents are allowed to getaway!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• DH and I went to Curacao for 10 days for our 10th anniversary. Our parents took turns watching the kids, who were 4 & 5.5. It was hard leaving them, but we had a great time once we got over the leaving. And it was a last hurrah because I had gotten pregnant in between making the plans and actually going. And our parents are not brave enough to watch the 3 kids.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• When they were younger, we only left them if the trip was business related. Otherwise, we were always a party of 4- Our families did not live close enough or have an interest in watching young kids (or they worked FT at the time).

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yes. My husband and I have gone on vacation without the kids.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• the only time i've been away overnight from my kid's is when I had my youngest dd...hubby & i have never been away alone together & we have been married 7 yrs now
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2010