Is royal icing safe to eat when it has raw egg whites in it? I do NOT have any meringue powder or a way to get some any time soon.

I'm making sugar cookies and I do not have dried egg powder or meringue powder so I am using a recipe that calls for egg whites. Aren't raw eggs unsafe to eat though?  I want to use royal icing or something like it because I want to decorate using the flooding technique.  Am I just out of luck?

DigiScrapperMom

Asked by DigiScrapperMom at 1:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't unless they're pasteurized. Make a powdered sugar glaze instead.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• No, raw egg whites have the risk of salmonella. Here is a alternate recipe using merengue power.
    Royal Icing Using Meringue Powder:
    4 cups (440 grams) confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar
    3 tablespoons (30 grams) meringue powder
    1/2 teaspoon extract (vanilla, lemon, almond)
    1/2 - 3/4 cup (120 - 180 ml) warm water

Read instructions here, wouldnt allow me to post.
    http://www.joyofbaking.com/RoyalIcing.html
    CynCity281

Answer by CynCity281 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I found a vegan recipe that uses corn syrup and almond extract instead of eggs or egg powder. I guess I'll give it a try.
    DigiScrapperMom

Comment by DigiScrapperMom (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I am afraid of the raw eggs. I made it the other day without merigue powder and it dried nicely
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Cyn, she said she doesn't have any meringue powder.

OP - can you wait a day or two until you can get some, or not? Too bad I can't set my can in front of the screen and send you some via the web, I have more than enough!
    Anonymous

• Awe, thanks for the offer to send me some, Anon! I tried the vegan kind and it's ok, but almost 3 hours later it's still pretty sticky. I'm making cookies for a cookie exchange party tonight and the nearest store that has any is over an hour drive away. I ended up making an entirely different kind of cookie to take.

Oh, and I edited the question after Cyn had answered to add that I didn't have meringue powder. Oops! Sorry, I should have said so.
    DigiScrapperMom

Comment by DigiScrapperMom (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Eh I wouldn't
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2010