starting a business

I have a hobby and want to try starting my own business with it. I have been a SAHM for 12 years now. I want to start doing something for me. My husband doesn't think i can do it. Doesn't even want to talk about it. He doesn't like change. What can I say to change his mind or even think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well have you told him that you need this for YOU. That you need something more in your life and you feel strongly that this is what you want? And if you manage to find a way to earn money to fund your business yourself, then it really doesn't matter what he says or whether or not he likes change.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Unless you actually need him to do something or help you in some way you should just continue on with your plans.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Sometime you just have to do stuff whether the hubby likes it or not.
    KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 1:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Do it, I had the same with my mother as your husband thinks about this idea. I now make a living of fit.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 1:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• He won't feel the same way once you start and the money comes rolling in... Don't let him discourage you, you should do whatever makes you happy.. My bf did me that way and it motivated me to at least give it a try..
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• One way you could approach it is to share with him how a business could benefit HIM. There are GREAT tax advantages for starting a home business. A home-based business could significantly reduce your taxable income and allow you to take deductions you wouldn't otherwise be able to take. Also, the extra income it would provide would be a benefit to your family, relieving some stress from your husband. Think of other ways you feel it could benefit him. It's all about "selling" it to your husband. You want to package it as attractively as possible so that it's irresistible. :-)
    Foundfreedom

Answer by Foundfreedom at 2:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the help ladies!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would go ahead and start too. Just start small. You don't need to go into debt to get this off the ground. Rent things instead of buying, and grow small. I bet that will help ease your husband into it too.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Don't let him get you down, just let your work and success state your case for you. Good luck!
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 10:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Do all your homework first. In otherwords, do a lot of reading and research. Show him how your idea can be profitable and how you intend to run the business. Once he knows you're serious and have concrete facts about what you're doing, you should be able to persuade him, or at least make him feel more comfortable about it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2010