My hands are so swollen my fingertips hurt.

Has this happened to anyone else? They hurt really bad! I can barely type things and I can't grasp things very well because it hurts so bad. I told my doctor about it and he said it's nothing to worry about but no one I've talked to has ever had this problem. My poor husband keeps hurting my little fingers and it makes him feel so bad...

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 1:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Ok, I see that you are. It could be a sign that your blood pressure is high (pre-eclampsia). You MUST go have it checked. I had really swollen fingers with my 1st pregnancy and went in and sure enough, my blood pressure was high. I was immediately sent to the hospital and monitored. Luckily, my blood pressure came down and I was released (but had to return every 2 days to be checked). BUT, had my blood pressure not come down, I would have had to have the baby then and there.

Can you at least have your blood pressure checked at a pharmacy? But that is not the best suggestion, I think you should go be seen by a doctor.
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• First question: are you pregnant?
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Sorry my dumbass should have put this in pregnancy. YES I am pregnant. I'm due any time now. My blood pressure is a little high but my OB/GYN INSISTS that it's nothing. But it feels like needles are poking my fingertips....
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• This happened to me while I was pregnant. It can be a sign of pre eclampsia. But not always. My hands got pretty bad. But my feet and ankles were the worst! I could ony wear flip flops and one pair of black slip ons that I stretched! I couldn't full flex or point my ankles. Which resulted in some pretty funny walking. My husband called me Shrek. lol.

I guess enjoy it while you can. I know it can be uncomfortable and painful. But when are you ever going to have funny fat fingers?
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Aww I hope you aren't getting preeclampsia, that would SUCK! I haven't swelled up or anything yet, I hope I don't o.o That would be just friggin fabulous. A painful crotch and cankles, gah!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I wish I had cankles . . . . I had THANKLES!!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Aww! I have cankles anyway, I don't know why I said that xD My stepsister swelled up like a balloon towards the end of her pregnancy. I'm not doing what I should be to prevent it. Bad me!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I'm w/the other replies... strong sign of pre-eclampsia. I too had it w/both my pregnancies. All the best to you :)
    shoppingmommi

Answer by shoppingmommi at 1:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• oh.... and drink TONS and TONS of water!
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• IF they are tingly too, it could be just plain old carpal tunnel syndrom too. I had it with BOTH my pregnancies clear up to my elbow and there isn't anything you can do with it except wear splints. Doc told me it's because you have so much water retention that it swells around the carpal tunnels in your wrists....just my 2 cents worth...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2008