How come I always get crappy gifts from my DHs family?

I know I should be greatful I get anything, but every year we go to the inlaws for christmas and my DH gets navigation systems, new phones, game systems, digital cameras, camcorders, nice watches, laptops. And I get pajamas and fuzzy socks, I have a drawer full of socks and pajamas Ive gotten from my inlaws. One time I got ugly curtains and one time I got pillows, other than that its always pajamas. Im sick of getting them really nice gifts and getting shit every year. I realize that he is their son and im just his wife, but still Im the one that birthed their grandchildren. Im just venting because its not fair.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Holidays

• that is really rude of them, they should be either spending about the same amount on your gifts or giving you guys one big gift together. What does your DH say about it? Maybe this year you should give them all PJ's and sock, since they think its such a great gift-maybe it will make them think about how it makes you feel.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Navigation systems, cameras and camcorders would be considered "us" gifts here... for both of us. My parents made a point of getting "us" one big gift and then small individual "pj's and fuzzy socks" type gifts too.

Have you said anything to your husband? You should, since it bothers you.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Thats what i thought about the US gifts at first too, but they made it clear its for my husband not me. On the to and from tag they write his name in capitals. My hubby just says that im selfish and I know that he'll share the gifts with me anyways.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Do you get along with them? If you do they may just not really know you well enough to get you something that is more your taste. I know that in my DH's family I know EXACTLY what will be a great gift for some and others I just don't really know much about them to KNOW what they would like. It's not that we don't get along they are just harder to figure out. Or there are just some people who are not good gift givers, they think they are getting something you would like but when you open it you are just like "why?" It took my own mother until I was about 35 to get me a gift I really liked. Every year I would open it and think to myself "have you ever met me?" I would just keep saying thank you and start re-gifting.
    Anonymous

• I have a really good relationship with them, weve never had any problems and they are very involved with the kids and I love them very much
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i always get the same scent of victoria's secret lotions and bath soaps or tacky socks/pajamas from my husband's grandparents. his mom is usually good with getting us both something equally nice or something as "one" for us. anyway ive just learned to accept it and act like it's a great gift. they're old people lol and technically they dont have to get me anything. just smile, say thanks and move on.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• oh and i like the re-gifting idea. as long as you dont get caught! :)
    tnm786

• It sounds like they just don't know what you would like or they think it IS a good gift that you would want. My inlaws are the same they like me but I always get something that seems like they had no idea what to do but I just say thanks I can really use that. I just realized that we get my brother inlaw a pair of lounge pants every year because one year we got them as a joke and he was like "thanks I really needed some of these" and he WAS serious we now get him one every year, I hope he's not sick of them lol
    Anonymous

• Be grateful they give you anything. I always give my sister and brother better gifts than their spouses.
    Anonymous

• stop giving them such nice gifts. I mean, I like pjs and fuzzy socks as much as the next girl but they should spend the same amount on you as they do theri son you are their daughter in law, that means they are supposed to consider you a daughter.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2010