Should I be concerned/annoyed?

I had gone to the bathroom Thursday night and had brownish color on the toilet paper. I was worried cause I spotted at 5 weeks already and I'm 11 weeks now....I waited it out and two hours later I went again, wiping first to see if it was spotting or not, it wasn't. Then I pee'd and it was brown. I was having yellowish discharge for a while, not a lot but some so the next day I called my health group and spoke to a lady about this and explained I had not been hurting and the brown urine had only happened once last night (I didn't notice the water being brown until second time) but that I also had discharge and I was a little worried about it cause that day it was pretty thick but that I knew for a fact I was not spotting cause I had checked.
She said she would speak to the nurse, comes back to phone, says they both think it may be a bladder infection and they're calling in amoxicillin for me and that I needed to go pee in a cup so they can test my urine. I did so that very day but I would have to wait all weekend to hear results cause they're closed. I finally called back wanting to talk to doctor, I was unsure about taking pills before the results. The doctor told me to go ahead and start the amoxicillin because if it is infection it could cause premature labor, which freaked me out so I've been taking it.
I called them yesterday and they said it was on doctors desk and they'd call me back. They never called me back....
I took more amoxicillin (1 pill every 8 hours to be exact) but I was getting annoyed, I wanted my results before I kept it up too much longer. I don't like taking medicine in the first place, and I really don't like it while I'm pregnant with my first child, despite the fact it is a "safe drug".
I called them again today and the receptionist tells me it came back negative. I ask if I can stop the amoxicillin now, she asks me if it was helping...
Helping what?!
I told her my one time urine symptom and how I didn't have anything else but discharge that got thick and now it's better but that I was still having it, and she says "then yeah you can stop taking it"....

Am I wrong to be slightly annoyed that I am 11 weeks pregnant and taking pills for something I don't even have because the nurse and doctor both "thought" I might have a bladder infection...over the telephone? Grr!

Charmasina

Asked by Charmasina at 2:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know.. It sounds unfair. I would be annoyed too!! Doctors can be so annoying and irresponsible sometimes. But at least you are doing ok, it was NOT a urine infection and you took a drug that may not have been necessary but it's also probably harmless. Think about something else. Trust me, the more you think about the incident the angrier you will be and the more your day will be ruined.
    silhouettes79

Answer by silhouettes79 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Thanks. I'm trying not to be mad. I do know amoxicillin isn't bad for the pregnancy and it does keep infection away, it's just very upsetting that doctors seem to care less and less about their patients. :(
    Charmasina

Comment by Charmasina (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I understand your frustration. Maybe I can help you from a nurses point of view. There are a couple of things that complicated the issue. The weekend is the big one. Even if it hadn't been the weekend though, the Dr. most likely would have begiun the antibiotics to prevent further complications. Untreated bladder infections can become severe in a very short time. They can become kidney infections in as little as 24 hours. Any infection while pregnant is serious. Unfortunately when Dr's come back from a weekend they have a desk full of notes and messages from the weekend. Any hospitalized patient is at the top of the list. The office SHOULD have gotten back to you Monday. There is no excuse for that, you are right. At this point it's water under the bridge though. Let it go and move forward.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I under stand where you are coming from this happened to me last week I went in to L&D with contraction every 5 minutes apart like I was instructed and when I got there they ran a urine sample told me I may have an infection but they needed another test to be sure well I did the other test they gave me a shot to stop the contraction which did not all it did was speed up my heart rate to were I felt like I was on a thousand red bulls and made my son non responsive to the ultrasound...The doc then discharged me with false labor my contraction were still every 5 min apart 2 days later I gave in to the pain and went back to L&D to find out within 5 min with the first urine sample that I had a uti I finished the antibiotics and the contractions went away...so I was given that stupid shot for no reason and all it did was make me feel horrible
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2010