My 6 year old son..... adult content

Is this bad? My six year old son was asking about babies, he knows they are in our bellies but how do they come out. I did not want to lie to him, so I showed him some videos on YouTube of dogs giving birth. He was fascinated by it, but thought is was gross at the same time.  At first he thought the puppies were poop, but I said no they were in a protective sack that the mommy licks it off of them.  Then he said oh I think that would be really warm and toasty I want to be in a sack. LOL I said you were but the doctors and nurses cleaned you up.  Is it bad that I let him watch that?  I just followed my instincts, I didn't know what else to do.  He loved it. I wanted to post this in one of my Christian groups, but I thought I would be frowned upon.  So I am asking in this section anonymously.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Its life. I dotn see anything wrong with that. Its not like you took him to the maternity ward to watch a woman giving birth lol. Good Job Mom! I think it was a great idea!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My son, who just turned 7, was asking these questions so I let him be with me while our dog had puppies. I explained to process as it was happening and compared it to humans. Its part of life and they should know the truth so they are not only learning what the kids at school teach them and the crude things kids say, he knows what it is now and has no reason to ask his friends.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• And Im not saying a woman giving birht is bad. Just saying it may be too much for a child that age to handle
    Steph319

• ¸.•*¨i personally wouldn't of done it but my child is 5 and i don't think he's ready for that yet in my eye's..but every child is different and if you felt that this was the right option then good for you..i think you followed your mom instinct's and you both are going to be just fine...have a great rest of the day ¸.•*¨

gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think what you did was great. He was coming to you with questions, and you answered them. I personally wouldn't have chosen an animal giving birth, since their anatomy is so different, and many children grow up thinking that women "poop" out babies, much like your son did. I would have had him watch a natural human birth that I previously viewed to make sure it wasn't too graphic or scary for him.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yeah, some moms on here will eat you alive if they don't agree with something. You did what you felt was right for you and for your child. I think finding an appropriate way to explain nature is far better than making up stories and lying to the kid.
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My son is 7 and I am pregnant with his sister....so therefore he has asked many things about this topic and I try to be honest and truthful while remembering his age and maturity level.

I have not shown him an animal video...but I am not against it either....its a good learning experience as long as the child is ready for it.

I told my son that women have a special part near where their pee pee comes out that opens up and lets the baby come out....he was very accepting of that answer.

Then he asked how it got in there in the first place...I thought "OH BOY" lol......so I told him mommies have eggs like a seed....and it needs to be watered to start growing....daddies have the water......he was very ok with that answer.....

Now I just dread him asking how the water gets to the mommies seed...hahahaha

Good going mom, I am all for teaching and not blowing him off or giving him a untruthful answer....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think you did just great, especially since you were there to explain it and answer any questions he might have. Good job, Mom!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• There are lots of kids who grow up on farms who see it everyday up close and personal. So I see no issue with the video.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My daughter was born when my son was 7. He was very curious about the same thing. I did the exact thing, and let him watch those birthing videos also. I thought it was much more appropriate than taking him to the maternity ward and letting him experience the real thing.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010