Am I having Braxton Hicks??

I asked a question yesterday, but I think my wording was confusing.
I am 20 weeks right now w/ baby #2. Every day, about 4-10 times, I get a distinct stomach tightening. It is not the baby moving or kicking. It is NOT painful at all, and is only in the abdominal region (doesn't spread to the back). I always get it after an orgasm, and also throughout the day. I eat very healthy and drink a lot of H20, and have a healthy pregnancy.

I am not concerned, but am wondering if they are BH? I though BH are associated with pain and being uncomfortable. Were yours painful, because there is no pain with my tightening. Any experiences are welcomed. I'll bring it up to my midwife in two weeks, but thought I'd get some feedback.

charisma10

Asked by charisma10 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• BH aren't supposed to be painful, they're just supposed to feel like annoying period cramps.

I had mild BH right around the same time as you. But now that I'm in my third trimester (I'm 34 weeks) I've barely had any. The only time I ever had pain with mine was when I had to pee really bad.

And It's natural to feel the tightening after an orgasm. As long as they're not painful I wouldn't be too concerned =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Having contractions after orgasm is extremely common, I wouldn't give it a second thought. And Braxton-Hicks are painful for a lot of women, which is why so many women run to their doctor when they have them.

It sounds to ME like everything is normal, however, that wouldn't stop my from calling my midwife and telling her what's going on. When I was about 18 weeks, I had some pain and mentioned it to my doctor. They had me come in for monitoring and discovered that I had an irritable uterus. It turns out that I was in an almost constant state of pre-contraction and was a good candidate for pre-term labor. I eventually had to go on medication to calm things down.

My pregnancy was perfect, except for this. I think I was actually more comfortable being pregnant than I was not!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• It's Braxton Hicks, relax, It's all NORMAL!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I have the same thing. The dox thinks they are Braxton Hicks.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 6:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2010