"No grandson of mine is gonna be sucking a bottle all day,he's gonna eat food instead"

That's the ravings of my aunt. Apparently she feels that since her 8 mo old grandson is eating jarred baby food,all he requires is 4 oz of formula with each meal,so 12 oz total per day of formula. She equates formula with cow's milk and feels he needs to eat more baby food if he's still hungry,not be "sucking a bottle of milk all day"
Any attempt on my part to explain that the formula should be his main source of nutrition fell on deaf ears.
I was left practically in tears over this. I had no idea that she and my cousin(the baby's mom) were practicing this.
Is this enough to turn her in for,or would they require the baby to start dropping down on the charts?
I feel so bad for that baby!
Oh,almost forgot. They also feel that when he wakes at night he should be going back to sleep,not expecting to drink a bottle. They'll begrudgingly give him one if he keeps crying,but they prop it up and go back to bed. They don't hold him. in fact,they never hold him to feed him. They lay him on the couch and give it to him.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe you could get some information or phamplets from a pediatrician to give to them if they wont listen and the baby starts dropping weight and dosent look like he is thriving I would call and report them. How sad.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Unless he starts losing significant amounts of weight or has health problems, nothing will happen if you did call.

I think you're going to have to disassociate yourself here. Unfortunately.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• At 8 months, most pediatricians will tell you that most babies do not need to eat at night. However, if he isn't comforted any other way and truly is hungry, he should be fed. What about snacks? Is he only getting 3 meals/day with nothing in between? That's not enough. My babies only had 4 ounces of formula/breastmilk with meals, but they also had 3 snacks/day of 4 oz of formula/breastmilk each (so 24 oz/day which is a recommended amount).

Answer by missanc at 3:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• That is very sad. I doubt it's enough to turn them in for though. I don't understand people like this and feel very bad for that baby.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Some people are just ignorant as to what formula is for. I remember the biggest fight we ever had with my in-laws was when my MIL threw a fit that we were not going to wake up our sleeping daughter at bedtime to feed her more baby food (she was 7 months old at the time) because to her every child needs to eat solid food right before bed. When hubby stopped her from waking the baby she called us irresponsible parents. It was the first big blow up I ever had with the woman, and it's not gotten any better over the years.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• If you feel the need to talk to social services, do it. Or, send them anonymous information about what they are doing wrong. I hate lazy parents.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Differences in parenting/feeding styles is not something to report to the authorities on. Propping a baby up with a bottle is not the best way to do it but lots of people do it anyhow. That doesn't necessarily make them negligent though. Turn the table and ask yourself how you would feel if someone called the authorities on you because they didn't like the method or amount you were feeding your child. Unless the child is obviously declining in health then you really don't have anything to call them on.
    mkamom

Answer by mkamom at 5:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Most children who start on pureed food only eat about 5-6 oz's of formula with their meals. However, they as well get 8 oz's at bedtime and nap time as well. At least that's how it was for my children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It isn't necessary to feed a baby more than four oz of milk. my daughters never got more than four to five oz of breast milk in a bottle. I do agree that he should be offered it more often if they expect him to drink smaller amounts, and especially if he is wanting a bottle at night. you'll probably either have to deal with it and keep your opinion to yourself, or avoid them... sad to say. :)GL
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 9:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• That is sad....it is even more bothersome that they cant hold him to give him the bottle....are they not afraid that he might choke?

Really I cant hardly let my mind go to the stupid things people do and the poor babies that have to endure it....it drives me nuts...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010