She about ran in frontof a car.

today has made the third time my dd has run out from behind my car into the road (like at the grocery store..not an actual highway). It scares me to death every time she does it. She's been so good about holding my hand when we're walking into the store from the car and has never dine this until recently and I don't know what's caused her to think she can do it..how do I get her to understand that she can't do this again? She's 2 1/2 btw..I don't know if she's just testing boundaries or what but it's beyond scary. Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• And this is why parents use harness's for children.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I always keep my 2 year old belted in the cart until I'm ready to belt him in his car seat. If he's walking in a parking lot, I don't let go of his hand until he's going in the car.

Answer by missanc at 3:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree with Ninixh....all these moms who jump all over others who use the harnesses have never had a scare like this....I also hold on to my dd with all my might....she is a runner too....I would drop a million dollar vase before I let her go....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We taught our oldest daughter, that when she gets out of the car, and right before she gets into the car, that her hands need to stay on the car, near the rear wheel well. She learned pretty quick and we never had a problem with her running out in front of other cars. Practice in your driveway before and after you get home from being out.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Carry her right from the car to the cart. Don't let her feet touch the ground. My daycare provider has all the kids always keep one hand on the car until she says they can let go.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• With my 2 3/4 DD, we have the rule that she is to place her hand on the car while I'm unlocking, etc.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I use the white lines in the parking lot. They must stand on the white line while I am getting everything ready to put them into their seat. I also believe that this is the only reason to ever spank. If their behavior could result in death then they need to know how serious you are.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You need to grab her firmly by the arm (don't hurt her though), look her in the eye and sternly tell her that, that is very dangerous. That she could get seriously hurt if a car were to hit her. That she should never, ever do that. If it comes down to it let her know that people have died from getting hit by cars, but I wouldn't say that to her unless she continues to do it even after punishment. That's a last resort kind of thing to say. Just make sure you have her attention and let her know that she's not allowed to do that.

As well, keep hold of her hand or put her in a cart while you're getting the car unlocked.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I don't know how you disipline, but when my dd does stuff like that, I spank her but and usually let her know before I spank why before and after.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My rule is we have to hold hands in the parking lot, no exceptions.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2010