Wedding pictures?

How much is too much to spend on a photographer for a wedding? What is reasonable?

bellsandheels

Asked by bellsandheels at 3:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• We paid a total of 1200 dollars on ours. That included our engagment pictures with 3 locations, 2 hour sit time, and several prints. Then for the wedding we had 3 locations, 8 hours sit time, a book of every photo taken, a scrap book, and several prints. I did not want to pay for a professional at first because it was expensive but my MIL insisted we should. I am glad we listened because it was well worth the money.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We spent less than $200 on wedding photography, and had some very beautiful portraits. (That was in 1996, so you might need to spend a little more than that now to get the same)
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It depends on what your budget is. I would expect at least $1000 though. Professional photographers are expensive for a reason. Wedding photography is NOT easy. It's a lot of work to prepare for, to do, and to work on the back side. Any given 8 hour wedding really entails at least 40 man hours of work. from advertising, to book keeping, to editing the photos and even meeting with the clients and scouting out locations. On top of that there are equipment costs (My friend is a wedding photographer and he just bought TWO $5,000 cameras to keep up with the industry), insurance, taxes, liability, transportation. etc.. If you want a professional (and you really do) unfortunately you need to pay for one.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 3:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Just over $350. (No engagement pictures) Our wedding photos are absolutely lovely and I'm glad we spent the money, but I really couldn't see paying over $500. So many other expenses at the beginning of a marriage, not just the wedding!
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 4:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• No more then 200 I would say. There are a lot of proffessional wedding photographers out there, but I honestly would go to a Art school in your area and hire a student. It's great for them to put on their resume, it's great experience, and you will be adding to their portfolio as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• That is definitely going to depend on your budget. I would say $500 though. But it also depends on how long you want the photographer there for.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think we spent $500, but we got to keep all of the negatives and proofs so we could reproduce them.
    We got engagement done at Target.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We spent about $2000
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 8:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We had a photographer friend do ours, so we paid him $300. But I would be willing to pay $500-$1000.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• That's going to be determined by your budget, the package you buy and the area you live in.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2010