Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Immigration question. Step kids.

If my step kids are in another country can we get them citizenship through me? My DH is not a citizen, but he has a greencard. He cannot apply for citizenship for 3 more years. He hasnt seen his kids for 8 years because until very recently, he was not permitted to travel.
Am I able to apply for their citizenship? I know you can do it for your own kids, but I am not sure about step kids.


Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Adoption

This question is closed.
Answers (3)

  • She gives her permission. He has kept in contact with them, he talks to them everyday and we send money every month and ship them school clothes every year and new summer clothes every year.
    He just wants to see his kids. He is so upset that he has had no way to see them, he wants them to come here and meet our daughter that we have together.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

  • I would imagine not, not unless you adopted them.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

  • You may be able to apply for them to have permission to be here. But, if he hasn't seen them in eight years another country isn't going to let them come here, I wouldn't think. NTM, if they are with their mother, would she allow them to come here. Technically, she or whoever they are living with is there custodial parent and you have to have their permission also.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 3:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008