My 9 month old recently started shaking her head a lot...

like she is saying no. Is this a developmental stage?

LadyofIvory

Asked by LadyofIvory at 3:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine does it and realizes that she's doing something with her body that we react to - it's a part of development, yet - she's becoming aware of her body and how she can control it - and that she can do something that gets a happy response from us :)

Congrats!! :) Enjoy those precious discoveries!! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My son shakes his head and puts his hands over his ears like he doesn't want to listen to me.
    mary_whtsn

Answer by mary_whtsn at 3:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• She's just telling you NO! :)

She is learning something new! Be excited mommy! :)

Babies are silly.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Aren't they so cute with the things they come up with? My littlest is almost 10 months old, she's started laying her hand on the side of her face or head this week and tilting her head over like - WHAT!!? LOL
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You mean shaking it intentionally fast or sometimes slow? Both of my kids did/do that. My daughter loves when you do it along with her. She just laughs. It's soo cute. It's a way of them testing out their abilities and their vision. If your child is doing it unintentionally as like a twitch or something then you should be concerned. However, a lot of children do it intentionally as just a way to see how their body works.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My 10 month old just started this a couple of weeks ago. It seemed strange to me at first but now i know she is just having fun. After she does it, she starts laughing so I know there is no need for concern.
    Mshellv1107

Answer by Mshellv1107 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2010