Important guest..what to make?

We have an important guest coming for dinner tomorrow. I have NO idea what to make!
Usually I would make something in the crock-pot so that I can clean the house and have everything ready for when he arrives..but he's had my chili and stews the other times he has been here..
Any suggestions?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 3:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• O, you can do SO much more than that in your crock pot!

Do you have something on hand? Or are you going to the store?

Roast in the cp - or search for other crock pot recipes - and use that awesome tool to take stress off while you get ready for company!

I use my cp all the time - I even bake in mine - it's not limited to chili or stew :)

Something my family LOVES in the cp is a "roast" chicken. Whole chicken - rub with seasonings and oil or butter. Fill the cavity with onions or lemons to add flavor.

Make 3-4 medium sized balls from foil. Set the chicken on the foil. The idea is to elevate the chicken so the juices are under it during cooking. Cook on high 3-4 hours and it's done. :)

Enchiladas, lasagna or manicotti are all things you could prep in advance and pop in the oven.

Good luck and enjoy dinner!

Let us know what you make and how it goes!!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• There are soo many more meals you can make in the crock pot that aren't Stews and Chili's. Pot Roast, BBQ Ribs, Chicken dinners, etc. Go to http://www.crock-pot.com/Recipes.aspx to find some really great recipes that will help ease your mind in preparing a dinner.

JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• A good rice pilaf with baked salmon in a honey mustard glaze is always simple and elegant.

Or a juicy lasagna that you can make the night before (always better on day 2 anyway) with sugar snap peas or brussel sprouts that are roasted with garlic and lemon juice, salt and pepper served with crusty french bread.

Or, something I serve to my own special guests- bone in chicken pieces marinated in a honey mustard curry sauce overnight. You bake the next day for about 90 minutes. I serve with white rice pilaf that has sauted diced onions, garlic, peas and golden raisins..just bake them right into the rice. You can't go wrong with this one! You can also serve it with white basmati rice just as nicely.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• These are some great ideas ladies! Thanks so much. I will update you tomorrow night about what I end up making and how it goes over.. :)
    tobys.mommy

Comment by tobys.mommy (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• What about lasagana
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Thanks for all the suggestions ladies.
    I did some research and decided to make maple glaze pork chops (in the crock-pot) with rice and a spinach salad. BUT my husband came down with the stomach flu last night about 3 am..so we have had to cancel our important dinner guest. So tonight we are really having ginger-ale and chicken broth for dinner..and maybe mac-cheese for the kids :)
    Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
    tobys.mommy

Comment by tobys.mommy (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2010