do you think the teachers should be more proactive and call the police when a kid is being bullied at school?

i think the cops should be called. it is harassment imo, and if the bullying were to take place in a different setting it would be considered harassment so why not set those little unruly punks straight? All kids deserve the right to come to school to learn and feel safe.

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Bullying is WAY out of hand these days!!! I do agree that the teachers and principal shold take more action when it comes to the students bullying. If the bullying is violent, the police should be called. I also think that schools should have the police come and speak with students on bullying and what can happen if one continues to bully
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think that school should document everything, call in the parents of the child being bullied and give them the option for file charges. Something more needs to be done, bullying is out of hand.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I totally agree!!! I know kids who were bullied and the schools did nothing!!! They all pulled their kids out of school and home schooled them to keep them safe!! Schools r responsible for the safety of our children!!! They don't even try to keep them safe!!! Those people should lose their jobs if they don't want to do them!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Some bullies do not respond to calm talking or their parents do not care a sixth grader was picking on my sons one was in second grade the other in kindergarten. the principal refused to stop him so I took it up with the parents and it happened one more time i handled it and it never happened again later the principal was asked to step down. not just for my son who was being bullied while going through chemo but because he allowed other kids to be beaten up as well claiming low self esteem could be fixed by a couple of beatings. Well calling the police on this kid would have saved a ton of agony for other parents as well a third time sixth grader beating up on little kids.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• While I think they need to be proactive and put a stop to it calling the cops is a bit extreme unless they are assaulting someone or threatening them with their lives.

I dont think they do near enough for these kids who are being bullied.
    I know....my daughter is one of them.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• In my opinion... first don't over react and scare the children to death.... Have you used your chain of command.... Principle, parents, counselor, whats going on at home, what is going on in the childs life... there are some basic common sense questions that need to be asked before you start calling the police. In some situations I could see where an exception should be made.... My daughter was bullied and after handling the situation calmly the problem was resolved and no one ended up with a criminal record!
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 4:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think it depends on the situation. I think the word "bullying" is used way too loosely most of the time. There are some types of bullying that only requires good discipline while other types definitely need something more done.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think calling the police is a little bit excessive. I definately think more action should be taken then most schools take, but unless the bullying is violent I don't think the police should be called.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2010