what better way to disapline w/o always yelling..

GodBlessMe3

Asked by GodBlessMe3 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Love & Logic can lessen some of the yelling.. its been helpful for us
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Step back... (not on child)... deep breath... look the child in the eyes and in a calm voice say "Excuse me I think we have a problem... do you know what you did wrong? Let them answer... explain what you expect and the punishment for what they did.... I spank mine... but you can put them in time out or what ever you are comfortable with.... my two older girls still respond to "Excuse me I think we have a problem..."
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 3:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i personally tell my kids what the consequences are of disobeying me. i think it`s in the tone of my voice that they know if i`m serious or not. i am sure to make eye contact and am consistant in discipline and teaching them what is or not acceptable to me and dad. i don`t let them walk all over me.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• we set up the bad penny system so to speak. Actually we got the kids jars and marbles, a different color for each child. When the did something good they got to put a marble in their jars, when they did something wrong they would have to take a marble out. After "X" amount of marbles they got to do something fun, like either go for ice cream or I would make their favorite dinner.

I also believe in positive reinforcement so I praise my kids much more than I punish them. I agree you need to take a deep breath and relax a little, Also, if you tell them you are going to do something you need to follow through, so no idol threats. If you say you are going to punish them a certain way make sure it is something you will actually do.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I don't think yelling is discipline. I think it's expressing your anger and/or frustration. I can't offer a punishment because my kids are little and mostly I just have to make them sit for a little bit. I notice they react better to a softer tone though.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yelling isn't diciplin. It's just the exaggerated tone you use when trying to express to them what you want to get across. The diciplin is the action that they must do or not to in regards to their negative behavior. Giving a time out is a diciplin, as well as getting their posessions taken away, limiting their time with TV/computer (or restricting it all together), banning them from friend's houses or special events, etc. The diciplin isn't the way that you reprimand them, but what you make them do in order to understand that there are consequences. It's important to be firm and authoratative in your speaking when repripmanding, but yelling doesn't have to happen.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010