Brother of Harry Potter actress admits to beating her for dating a non-Muslim.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/21/harry-potter-actress-refuses-to-testify-against-family/

LONDON -- The brother of a British Muslim actress who starred in the Harry Potter films pleaded guilty to assaulting his sister, after beating her, forcing her to flee her family home and calling her a "slag" for dating a Hindu man.

Afshan Azad, who played Hogwarts student Padma Patil in four of the movies, refused to testify Monday against her 28-year-old brother, Ashraf, 28, and her 54-year-old father, Abul. Both were found not guilty of threatening to kill her.

During the May 21 row at the family's home in Manchester, England, the 22-year-old actress' father allegedly shouted that he would murder the young actress. Scared for her life, she escaped out of her bedroom window and ran to the police, the Manchester Evening News reported.

Does it concern you that honor attacks/killings are becoming more common in Westernized countries?

SuperChicken

Asked by SuperChicken at 4:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Jerk
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It does not surprise me as the population is on the rise, so will their culture.
    Anonymous

• No, this is not really a "concern" of mine, in regards to how the question is asked.

I'll explain myself. Family members harming/beating/killing one another over life choices is not new here in the Western world. Incidents like this have/do happen here in the West. Here in the states things like this have happened due to dating/marrying outside of one's race. So, this type of incident is not new. What is new, is this particular "face" in regards to this type of incident. Many in the West are are admittedly unfamiliar with Muslims, so yeah this seems so outrageous. However, when you look at it for what it really and truly is: a brother beating his sister because he didn't like who she was dating. That's not anything really new here in the West.

Let me be clear. I am not saying this type of incident is OK, or acceptable or even justifiable. Simply stating that this type of act in and of itself is nothing new in the West
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• This is not a tolerant religion, yet they expect the rest of the world to show tolerance to it. It is rather confusing.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I disagree Pixie, I think it is "new." The idea of an honor killing/attack is to restore a family's honor in the community. As such, the community must support and be in favor of the attack. The attackers are considered to be doing the right thing by the community. This brother didn't beat his sister because he didn't like the guy she was dating, he beat her to punish her for embarrassing the family by dating someone the community did not approve of. That is not the case in the domestic violence we are used to seeing in the West.

Note: This family happens to be Muslim, but honor killings and attacks are not limited to Muslims. It is a cultural practice, that is not limited to the Muslim religion. This IS NOT an anti-Muslim post. My concern is with the cultural idea that women/girls are the property of their family's and the family's honor within the community depends on the women's behavior.
    SuperChicken

Comment by SuperChicken (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• The incidents that I speak of were also based on family embarassement.

The entire Muslim community is not okay with these types of incidents nor think they are the right thing to do.. Just as I'm sure not the entire Christian community would support or think it's the right thing for a Christian father beating his daughter for getting pregnant before marriage (which I have personally witnessed first hand in high school).. Or the entire caucasion community supports or thinks it's okay for a father who beats his daughter for dating outside her race (yep I've seen this to. the young lady was dating my brother at the time). In both of these incidents I just shared, one of the main reasons behind the beatings (right behind religion) was family embarassement. See, same incidents different faces behind the incident.

It's really not new. These incidents do happen in our culture as well for pretty much the same reasons.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Let me be clear. I am not saying this type of incident is OK, or acceptable or even justifiable. Simply stating that this type of act in and of itself is nothing new in the West

I agree that it isn't new here in the West, it's just now started to get noticed and reported by the media, which I think is a good thing. The more public these honor killings/beatings become, the harder it'll be to keep them quiet.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yes, it concerns me.
    You're a brave soul for posting this. Kudos.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 5:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Pixie. In the examples that you mentioned, did the community condone the beatings? Were they expected/required to restore the family's honor within the community? If not, then they do not relate to this issue. Honor killings/beatings are a different kettle of fish because of the community's involvement in the family dynamic such that the killing/beating is a social requirement for living comfortably in that community.

And of course the entire Muslim, Christian, whatever communtities don't condone this. The community I am speaking of is the local community. Neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc.. Those who would ostracize a family.

I will say again. This IS NOT an anti-Muslim post. Honor killings are not limited to Muslims. It's a cultural practice. That is what concerns me. That the CULTURE of honor killing/beating is becoming common in Western countries.
    SuperChicken

Comment by SuperChicken (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It saddens me that men hide behind "honor" to bully, beat and even kill women. There is nothing honorable in being a bully.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010