merry x-mas

what is so wrong with taking "christ" out of the word x-mas--HE dwells within us anyways and should be there the entire year--not just now--what is such a big deal in a word??? do you "really" think HE cares about a word???? I don't

jdmyangel

Asked by jdmyangel at 4:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• there is nothing wrong with it - seeing as X is an old greek abbreviation for Christ. its not politically incorrect, nor offensive. it's an abbreviation, simple as that and perfectly OKAY to use!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I highly doubt that God cares about half the crap that humans push in his name.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• fyi: if Christians would better educate themselves about their own religion, they wouldn't be offended by XMAS.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Agree with tnm.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• If it really isn't that big of a deal then why would you change the word. It has been around for such a long time that why would we want to change the word.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It does not bother me to see Christmas shortened to X-mas. In fact I find it interesting that people are upset about "taking the Christ out of Christmas" as Christmas started out as a pagan holiday and had nothing to do with the Christ child (who was actually born in the springtime).
    Anonymous

• X doesn't take Christ out of Christmas even in a literal sense. X is Greek for Chi which in short is Christ.
    "Xmas" is a common abbreviation of the word "Christmas". It is sometimes pronounced /ˈɛksməs/, but it, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation, /ˈkrɪsməs/. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for "mass",[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ".
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree with you, Merry Christmas!

Answer by older at 4:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Some people feel that using the X is crossing Christ out thus taking Christ out of Christmas. It's their belief and they're passionate about it.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 4:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree to a point... why must we abbreviate everything? IDK, WTF, LOL, BFF... I mean, have we grown so lazy that we cannot even type out the word Christmas? THAT is what I object to.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010