is your 4 year old tech savvy?

she has a tv in her room. of which is only used a couple hours a day when im trying to clean or get stuff done (movies only, no cable on her tv), and i want all 3 focused on something so i can do that. she also likes having it on when she goes to sleep, and i later go in and turn it off after she's fallen asleep. this habit started about 6 months ago.

anyway, i found out the other day that she knows how to put movies in the dvd player! she knows which button to push to open it, how to push play and turn the tv on & off. i know at 4 i couldn't do this LOL but when i was 4 we had vhs still. she also plays educational online games by herself, knowing how to turn up the volume and close the page down when she's finished and scroll up and down. i was just simply amazed when she put that movie on by herself!

can your 4 year old do stuff like this?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes. My daughter knows how to get on the computer, get on photoshop or the internet, find her favorite websites, how to close out applications, minimize, maximize, take pictures/videos with the webcam, listen to music, watch movies, etc. She also can work my iPhone and iPod touch. She can also work the DVD player (thankfully haha!). This Christmas we decided since she's so tech savvy to get her her own netbook. They're cheap enough and it'll save us from fighting over my computer hahaha! Oh and she just turned 5 a couple weeks ago.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My 3 year old can! He boots his computer, gets on his online learning games (specially marked on his desktop), He knows how to shut down a computer. He can work an ipod/ipod touch without any help. He plays the wii, turns it on loads the games selects the player etc.
    He has fixed our external hard drive (it was running really slow and one day he messed with it and it now runs really fast! He has also inverted all the colors on my husbands computer =)
    My Husband is a computer guy so I think that plays a big part in why my 3 year old is so technologically advanced =)
    The good thing is my DH knows how to block him from the whole internet...for now anyways =)
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 5:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• well i have a 3 yr old and he knows how to turn the computer on and open the internet to play his learning games and it just amazes me how much kids know now a days..he also can order movies on tv ...had to put blocks he was charging up the bill..lol...he plays games like xbox and stuff like that too with his brothers..he also has a tv in his room but it is only for him to use to relax for calm down time..which he neva watches cause we read books instead....
    honesty33

Answer by honesty33 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• When my kids where this age they could do those things. My Dh is into computers so he had the kids sitting with him when they were really young and they started playing on the computers when they were about 2 years old. It is good that you are aware of it and understand that she is smart.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Um NO.. our son is not - he turned 3 in Nov and well, he is lacking some patience so he can't even dress himself or doesn't even want to try it.. we are hesitent to let him touch the Dvd cd or tv ... he can't seem to get the computer - the only thing he wants to do is bang on the keyboard.. ugh.. I wish he wanted to learn more like your kids
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Haha, my almost 3 year old has known how to turn the tv on/off and change the volume/channel for at least a year now and he knows how to put disks into the various systems (wii, xbox, etc). He even knows what button to push to make a movie play when I'm on the netflix menu. He can play games online, too. He loves the ones on fisherprice.com or sesamestreet.org. He knows how to play them by himself, though he doesn't know how to shut the page down or scroll the screen up or down (intentionally, at least) - he just learned how to use the touchpad in the last week or so, but he can already type his ABC's and 123's, lol.

We're a more high tech generation though, lol. When we were little there weren't all of these things. I can remember when people thought it was great that 6th graders could use computers, and now kids know how to use them by kindergarten, haha I think its just the way things change over time. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh, and he knows how to turn the computer on, lol. He's really bad for turning it on right after I turn it off.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My son (4.5 years) can work our ipods, my ipad, and a computer. He can read sight words now and that is how he is learning more sight words.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My almost 5 year old has known how to start his computer, get to his learning games, find the ms office word program, shut the computer down, turn on/off his video game systems, use my touch screen phone and I'm sure there are other things. He has been doing this for at least a year now anyways. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly kids can pick up on how to do things.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• my son has a tv in his room to with no cable just a dvd player! he as well is 4 and knows how to turn on and off the tv and vcr and put his movie in and push play... he also ony gets to watch a movie if im trying to clean house or before bed! now he turns his movie off when its over! he also plays online games at spoutonline.com and he will play a kid came on my phone and im thinking of getting a ipad i saw on tv they have educational games you can download
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2010