what would you do?

I chose not to do any prenatal testing for Down Syndrome with 3 out of my 4 pregnancies. With my second pregnancy, for some reason i did the non-invasive first trimester screening because i was 36 when i became preg. Now i look back and think why did i do that. The test came back negative for Down Syndrome, but on Sept. 23rd 2006 i gave birth to my 2nd son out of 4 boys and he was born with Down Syndrome. I did no testing with my other 3 boys because it would have made NO difference if they had DS or not. I love my boys with all my heart and would not change a thing. I just dont understand why a parent would want to abort a baby just because they "might" be born with Down Syndrome. The reason im asking is because i learned of a couple my sister knows that aborted their baby when they learned the test came back positive for Down Syndrome....how sad is that:(

team21

Asked by team21 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't do the testing...but... if I did and the test came back positive I would KEEP my baby
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 5:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• The only reason I see to do the testing is to be more prepared. I think abortion is wrong in the first place so to do it just because your baby has problems isn't right. I do however understand that some have a hard enough time taking care of a normal child so one with DS would be a major issue.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I have 4 boys ages 5,4, 2 1/2 and 8months old and my 4yr old was born with Down Syndrome. It gets challenging at times, especially since my 4th son has developmental delays and feeding issues, but i do it all on my own. I realize some cant handle it, but their is the choice of adoption.
    team21

Comment by team21 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• If I did the testing, it would only be to prepare for what's ahead, not to abort for Downs.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Some people (like me) test to find out so that if it does come back positive they can learn more about downs and find any groups that will be able to help them cope with taking care of a special needs child. I would never condone aborting because the babies care would me more work or not.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• The tests have so many false positives that I opt out anyway. I would never abort my little one.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2010