Maybe this is why some branches of military don't accept GED (S/O of another ?)

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They will if you go to college after you get the GED. I made my son do one full time semester of college when he got his GED so he could get in

Answer by admckenzie at 5:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It makes sense. If they drop out of HS, it shows a pattern of quitting too.

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 5:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Isn't it all branches require a H.S. diploma, not a GED?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It makes sense. If they drop out of HS, it shows a pattern of quitting too

. Are you a Palin supporter?

Op- I agree with Tasches-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You can have either a high school diploma or a GED. I never heard of being required to go to college if you have a GED my uncle and cousin have their GED and they never were required to go to college. Uncle served 31 years and my cousin is working at 19 right now.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

No. They each have their own standards. Makes sense to me why the military would re analyze their recruitment approach.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You can have either a high school diploma or a GED. I never heard of being required to go to college if you have a GED my uncle and cousin have their GED and

GED with college is becoming the acceptable practice. Those with GEDS may be allowed in, but each service has a percentage of recruits they will consider accepting.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• how can a recently released study be the cause of a long standing policy?

does the number of GEDs held by those in the military match the 25% stat that are unable to pass the entrance exam? what does one have to do with the other?

oh, and the article isn't discussing GED holders, they are discussing high school graduates. And neither certification is necessarily an indicator of intelligence.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• oh, and the article isn't discussing GED holders, they are discussing high school graduates. And neither certification is necessarily an indicator of intelligence.

Very true.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 7:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• when I joined the Navy in 1992, we had to have a Diploma. And still, the average score on the ASVAB was 38.
    38 out of 100~!
    So, not all kids with a "diploma" are smart. Many schools are still just passing kids to ensure they are funded for one more year.
    No Child Left Behind, my ass.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010