• In the Spotlight:

Bedtime/Naptime Battles

For the last couple of days, bedtime/naptime has become a battle between my 6 month old and I. At night, it has been taking me 2-3 hours to get him to fall asleep...I've tried rocking him, nursing him, singing to him, soft music, teething tablets, and I've even tried to just lay him down in his crib and let him be for a few minutes, but he just screams and screams and won't go down. If I get him to sleep, as soon as I lay him down he wakes up and screams again. Is this just a phase? Is there anything else that I can try? HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think a routine may help. Try starting with a bath, read a book, feed him, then lay him down. Do this in transitions with leaving the room. I would lay him down the first night when he is almost asleep and put your hand on him....he's going to cry but will eventually fall asleep. The next night do the same thing.....then move to a chair, then out of the room. It will not be easy in the slightest. Good luck
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• if you find out please let me know! I have been battling this behavior for about a week now, and I am at my wits end. Every other scream ends with a yawn, but she wont sleep. I have tried everything you have described, and still no results.

(she is also 6 months old)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I am glad to know that I am not the only one out there going through this!! It has been terrible. He is also going through a "mommy mommy" stage I suppose you would call it where I can't put him down or he screams. It has been a very hard week around here!
    Anonymous

• Definitely try a routine... Does he have a fever? It sounds like the way my baby girl acted when she had an ear infection. try holding him upright when you rock him. Even if he is awake, it will make him sleepy and calm.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 3:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Well give your child a warm bath at the time you want to go down for bedtime with a warm bottle. Now for naps thats kinda hard i would just let my son make his self tired with palying and etc.
    poobaby

Answer by poobaby at 4:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• my son is 4 months and is fighting his naps...luckily i found out that if i put in a baby genius dvd and put him in his swing in front of the tv he will entertain himself and fall asleep....luckily this behavior has not effected his night time yet...but from what it looks like i have something to look forward to..... :(
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2008