How can I get my daughter to sleep in her own bed?

My daughter goes to sleep in her own bed at night with no problem, however every night around 3 she wakes up and insists on getting into my bed. We live in an apartment building so I am concerned to fight her on this due to not wanting a screaming incident to wake the neighbors. Any ideas would be appreciated.

jennifer9607

Asked by jennifer9607 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son does the same thing every single night. If I take him back to his own bed, he crys and within 5 min he is back in our room. No advice as I am going through the same thing!

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My LO is doing the same thing. Some nights she stays in her room, and other's not. I just try to enjoy the time I get to snuggle with her. I think about when she's a teenager and when she'll hate me for 10 years or so.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 5:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My second one did that, and it did take some patience putting him back into his bed over and over again. You do have to put her back in her own bed, if that's where you want her to learn to sleep. She'll continue doing what she'd doing as long as she gets away with it - but once she learns that you won't allow it, she'll learn to stay in her own bed. Be calm, be reassuring, but be firm and tell her where she must sleep.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 5:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i recently just asked a friends mother about this...she said crying or not u lay them down rub there back let them no u care hug them kiss them tell them this is ur bed sleep in your bed like a big boy/girl leave the room let them cry and do this til they fall asleep for about three nights. It will be stressful and the lack of sleep sucks but it rly does work....it even worked for my 10 month old!
    peytiebug211

Answer by peytiebug211 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• get her one of those nightlights that show stars on the ceiling, and a toy or doll might help make sure she doesn't nap too long on too late into the evening, try to cut out sugars and caffeine in the evening, don't let her watch any frightening movies on tv, u didn't give her age I am assuming shes younger, let her know what a big girl she is and big girls sleep in their own beds, let her know you will be right there should she need you, maybe turn on a little quiet time music too can help in kinda drives out any other noises like the wind or bumping from the other rooms or neighbors. God Luck let us know what works.
    StressedOut107

Answer by StressedOut107 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well i askd this question last week and didnt get good advice,but i learnd from Super Nanny that whn ur child comes in ur bed or just constantly gets out of theres after u put them in bed the best thing to do is not say a word to them and put them instantly back in the bed and leave the room.If they keep getting out keep shut and put them back in the bed until they stay there.I started doing it with my daughter and it workd,she has been sleepin in her bed for two nights in a row and i'm loving it.Give it a try and let me knw if it wrks for ya.GOOD LUCK grl.
    carisa368

Answer by carisa368 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'll have to try this idea if not saying anything. I usually try to reason with her as to why she should stay in her own bed, which only leads to more crying. Thank you for the tip!
    jennifer9607

Comment by jennifer9607 (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I survived the crying for 1 week and 2 days.Its hard but they will learn it .just spread some of that patience around.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My almost 4 y/o dd does this too. She sneaks into bed with us so softly I don't know she's there till morning most times. Good luck.
    a_brown23

Answer by a_brown23 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2010