Does religion really take precedence at work if.............................

The place I work for operates 24 hours a day and requires me to go into peoples private homes. I REFUSE to go somewhere and stay over night if the person is not family for two reasons. One is really a decency issue( religious) I dont believe that I should be going somwhere to stay ovenight if there are men there or the potential for men to be there. The other issue is from how obnoxious they have been to me overall at work I dont believe for a minute if one of these people( dont ask) were to attack me or do something to me they would back me up. They would turn it on me and figure the issue would go away which it would because non one in this town would fight for me. SOOOOO I do all I can to prevent those things. Because that is the only option. But what I am asking is would I have a leg to stand on if I dealt with it from only a religious perspective? That it was ( i know it sounds funny) against my religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It does not sound as if your job is safe at all. Please quit and find a job that does not require you to put yourself or your morals in jeopardy.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• If you are doing home health care you can say that, but in all honesty they don't have to respect it. Patient safety comes before yours when you work in health care. If that is not what you do than I have no clue what other job would have you going into homes and spending the night or what may or may not fly.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Sounds like you're in the wrong line of work then. If your job requires you to go to people's homes,then you need to take that into account.
    from a religious standpoint,what do you expect your job to do for you,not send you into homes?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Not sure anyone was being a smart aleck. Pretty sure we where all trying to help with what little information we have. I hope you find the help you need to do what is best for you.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It's hard to know how to answer your question without knowing exactly what your job description is. If staying overnight is part of your job description, then I would think you couldn't use religion as a reason for refusing to do the overnights.  In my opinion this isn't a religious issue but a safety one, even non religious people want to feel safe on the  job.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You have no leg to stand on. You took the job knowing the requirements ahead of time. Despite your initial objections you stayed employed with them, therefore agreeing to perform the job as given. If you have issues, take it to HR and if that does not work, seek other employment. You really haven't given anyone enough information to decide it you truly have a religious beef here or if your just seeking to create one you get yourself out of a situation you put yourself in.

Simple answer is to find another job that does not compromise what ever issues you have.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'm confused
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 5:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I dont think its right under those circumstances that this place operates under to do 24 hour stuff. Thanks smart aleck
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Depending on your religion....
    If Christian I suggest using the power of prayer and asking the Lord to protect you at all costs.... He will send angels and He will be there for you. However I would also being asking if this is the place God would want me to be. He will not send you someplace if it is not His will for you to be there so really ask if this is where He wants you. He will show you and answer.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• When you took the job,were you aware that yo would be required to go to homes,possibly overnight?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2010