How do I get my four year old to give me space?

My daughter is four years old and never lets me be alone. She has a sister who is 13 and she definately doesn't want to be bothered by her. She has a brother who is 8 and he plays with her but not often, he is off doing boy things. She even trys to bother me when I am trying to relax in a bath. She says she needs to read me stories while I take a bath.

Adele3

Asked by Adele3 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• whatever she likes to do with her hands such as drawing, block building, dressing dolls etc. Get her something that will keep her interest for a longer period of time that she can do alone. If something works the first time it may not work the second time so create yourself a small list of things and rotate.

My DS is 4 and he loves to build and take things apart. Sometimes I set up the table and put some stick glue, all kinds of cut-outs, constructions paper and crayons and he will stay busy for 30 minutes.

Find some old clothes and jewelry of yours that you don't mind her playing with and let her play dress-up. Kids love to play with our things.

Get her her own dish pan and put about 1/3 water with some bubbles and give her some small plasticware to wash. Kids love to play in water. Put it on the hard floor with a towel underneath and let her wash to her hearts desire.

I hope some of these ideas help.
    inmywritemind

Answer by inmywritemind at 3:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Your her best friend <3...

cherish this....
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Some children know how to entertain themselves and some do not. Some children are also uncomfortable being alone (hey, so are some adults). It may make her anxious being by herself for any given length of time. Start out slowly. You and her can't change behaviors overnight. You can do a few things for her that will prepare her for more self time and look forward to signifigant alone time in a couple of months. 1. Make play dates with friends her age. Drop her off at a friend's house, soicialize for a few minutes, and then leave. Take your long relaxing bath while she is away, shop, enjoy your time. 2.) Praise her occassionaly when she is playing by herself. 3.) Check out some books from the library.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• cont..there should be some age appropriate books covering this topic. Ask the children's librarian. Then cozy up at night and read. Plant the seeds...she will follow. Ask her what she likes to do when she plays by herself. 4.) Take her on a big girl shopping trip. Explain that you are going out to buy a few special toys she can play with only when she plays by herself. Let her pick out five or six items. Store them in a place she can't get to. 5.) Practice self play with her. Have her set the timer for five minutes. She picks the special toy to play with from her shopping trip. If she comes to you before the timer goes off - put the toy back up. Try again tomorrow. Praise her for making it to five mintues, then ten minutes, then 12, then...before you know it you will have at least 30 mintues. Work your way up to it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2008