how do you interest a lazy teen to do household chores???

neng999

Asked by neng999 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Give them consequences if they do not.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Remove their priveleges. If they don't help, they don't deserve the bonuses they get.

They have a basic right to eat, drink, and sleep. Everything else must be earned.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Make some privileges contingent on completing chores.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Give rewards!

Teens are very driven by money, so something like this:

1 hour of REAL cleaning = $5
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• "Interest"? LOL! They're not "interested". Require them to do chores, impose consequences if they do not do as required.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree with the others, take away the cellphone, computer, video games, whatever they are entertained with. Don't leave the stuff at home either lock them in the trunk of your car so they can't be click trying to sneak in your room to get it while you are out.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Money. That's why I do my work, how about you?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wouldnt give them a choice...either do it or have everything taken away or ground them...kids these days are lazy and walk all over there parents...i wouldnt put up with it
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Not to be mean - but I began training my kids at 2 and 3 to be a team player and everyone helps with household chores. My kids aren't perfect, but when there's work to be done - everyone helps pitch in. That's just the way life is. I was doing dishes by age 6 and mowing lawns at age 8. I had my own paper route at age 9 til just before I moved out on my own at age 15. To get things in life - it requires work. As the Bible and the pilgrims lived by it: "He who does not work - does not eat!" (2 Thessalonians 3:10)
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Set consequences for their actions and follow through. You may meet with some resistance because by teen years they should already be used to doing chores and used to having consequences for not doing what is expected of them so it may take some time to get them on the same page as you.
    Anonymous