My son is one, my sister will be 13, do you think that is too young to babysit?

She is really good with him and loves him very much. For her 13th birthday she wants to do babysitting classes, where they go over how to care for the child, how to properly discipline, CPR and First Aide, etc. She of course already sees how I prefer to parent my son.

I don't want to get her this for her birthday if she is too young.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 6:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My parents made me take the babysitting course at the local YMCA and I am so glad I did! At that age, I didn't think it was necessary and thankfully never had to use CPR or First Aid when I was a teenager, but I am glad I knew what to do in that situation. When I had my first child, I took a refresher on CPR and First Aid. Within one month of taking the refresher I used it several times once was on another person's 8 month old baby choking on a quarter. The mom didn't have a phone and the baby was almost unconscious. I didn't have a phone either but I knew what to do. I did the baby Heimlich and the quarter went flying out of the baby's mouth and she cried but she was ok. The mom hugged me and thanked me over and over.....yeah - I am so glad I knew what to do or that baby could have died that day. She is now a healthy 12 yr old!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think 13 is a good age to start babysitting. It depends, of course, on her maturity level.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• depends on maturity and length of time. How far away someone else is.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It all depends on how you feel. I think its a great age but depends on maturity. Try having her sit with him while you run to the bank or go shopping and see how she does. I think its just fine
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• oh, and the classes are a few weeks long this spring. I will need her babysitting services for my summer semester of school, maybe 2-3days a week only 3 hours(maximum)
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• thats a good idea, maybe I will have her babysit while I run an errand or two.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think it is a good age to start babysitting!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• No I think it's a perfect age. Plus, how responsible of her to want to take classes rather than just send the kids to bed and have her boyfriend over. Sounds like a great kid!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Also, How lucky are you to have such a great sitter!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2010