Grocery cart safety: Place your child in your car first or put your groceries in the car first?

link

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 6:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Here in Houston carjackings are an everyday event, so that is why they ran this news story. The point isn't about someone attacking you, it is about someone carjacking you while your little one is strapped into the vehicle. Unfortunately it happens far too many times down here and I keep my child close to me at all times, let them have my car but I'll be damned if they take my kid too.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I park next to the cart corrals. Even if it's at the far end of the parking lot. That way when I put the cart up, I'm still right next to my van!
    Christy_517

Answer by Christy_517 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• groceries in car,take cart to the cart corral with kid still in seat,take kid out and carry to car

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I thought this story was familiar, just saw it this morning on my favorite local news channel, KPRC:) I've always put my groceries in first before my child, just makes more sense.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I always put my groceries and then the kid unless it is freezing rain. Then again they are bigger now and get in themselves. When they were babies I never took the cart back. I would always ask somebody to put it back for me so I wouldn't hav to leave them alone in the car.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well, a lot of the cases happen while the mother is still busy putting the groceries in the car. The carjacker will come up to them, point a gun/knife/whatever at them and take their keys, jump in the car and go with their little ones strapped in. One mother was stabbed to death because she refused to give up her keys to a carjacker because her 4 month old was in the car. Scary shit!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

•  

Or, you could just forget them in the cart... 

LOL!!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Is this in case someone carjacks you and your kid is in the backseat and you're at the cart corral when they take off?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well since I have 3 under 5 they go in first as I would never be able to keep them all by my side to get the groceries in.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• "What if you have multiple kids?
    What if an oncoming vehicle strikes your cart with the child in it?
    Ahhh! What do we do?"

Yep, that's a tough one. I'm only dealing with one little one, others are older and usually don't accompany me to the stores. As for the oncoming vehicle, I usually pull the cart as close to the car as I can, if not between the vehicles. There is danger everywhere, no matter how careful we are.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010