What are your thoughts on religious apparitions?

http://www.news.com.au/pictures/gallery-e6frflv9-1225974311707

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 6:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Wow. One really has to stretch the imagination to see what they were supposed to represent. I wondered a few things when looking through the images. First of all, I had to read the descriptions on most to figure out what the images were supposed to be, which leads me to think that it really is dependent upon the person looking at the "miracles". Also, I wondered, since no one really knows what Jesus or his mother looked like, and all we have are artists interpretations of what they thought the two would look like, how could one think that the markings on a piece of toast would really represent the man who is supposed to be their god? No one knows what he looked like. . .

All in all, it gave me a good chuckle, as it was very entertaining, but also a bit sad that people are so desperate to grasp at something supernatural that they would see their god represented in a fish stick.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Those are just random patterns. Do you really think your lord would show himself in a grilled cheese?!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Those ones? 1. Bob Marley. 2. Jeff Daniels. 3. Goth holding a cigarette. 4. That's definitely a likeness of the god Priapus. 5. That's just the lava lamp giving him the finger. 6. Charles Manson—you can tell by the crazy eyes. 7. I'm sorry, that's a big stretch to claim your Funyun looks like the virgin Mary. 8. This is really hard when there's a painting next to the stain. Yeah, the Virgin Mary appeared in a stain. 9. I don't see what anyone is talking about. 10. Like the Funyun, this is pushing it way beyond the limits of credibility, even for an apparition claim. 11. I see Marilyn Monroe, not the Virgin Mary. 12. I see a creepy skeleton face—wait, it's the image on the Misfits t-shirt I'm wearing right now! 13. More funyun-style desperation.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• That's a little less explainable isn't it?

Nope, those are actually easier to explain. Assuming they aren't an outright hoax, it's usually from humidity that's taken on pigment from dust or minerals inside the figure/painting/whatever. There are more streaks than just what's on the face, but it's the ones on the face that are noticeable because of the contrast difference of flesh tones vs painted robes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• sidesplittinglaughter

Our minds are designed to find patterns in chaos. I'm not surprised to see all these. It's part of the hunting instinct, to find the hidden prey. At least our instincts are still finding a way to be used.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• people will see what they WANT to see if they try hard enough...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I believe apparitions are possible, however I think the ones in the gallery you showed are just images that look similar to other things to some people.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think I ate a virgin guadalupe taco earlier =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think nothing of them, really. I do find the reactions of the faithful funny. Spending large sums on moldy sandwiches, travelling for days to see a dirty wall. Bawling and carrying on over a stained bit of concrete. Seriously nutters. If God did exist, would he really have nothing better to do?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I can see all of them except the funyun.

Some of us are very visual... I tend to see things in patterns and stuff so its not hard for me to see it .. in my shower haha its a marble design and I can make out a thumb and nail shape cracks me up I call it God's thumb just for the heck of it :-) I do not take it seriously! I can pick out faces in bushes and stuff like that. I dont consider it religious apparitions just my mind creating patterns.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2010