tipping in hair salon

I tried out a new hair salon today. It was more upscale than I had heard and one girl washed my hair before another girl cut and styled it. What is the usual tip for the girl who washed my hair? It is correct to tip her, right?   Total came to $45 for wash, cut, style.  Thanks ladies!

elizabr

Asked by elizabr at 7:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Unfortunately, you have to tip them both - $5 to the hair washer and $10 to the stylist.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think tipping has gotten out of control. Did you know in many country's they do not tip at all. Australia does not tip.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree tipping has gotten out of control but normally ppl who do not want to tip well would probably normally stay out of an upscale salon for that fact exactly.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• the girl doing the washing went to cosmetology school too...so yeah tip her- I guess it really depends on what all you are getting done/how much for the actual service you are having done...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I only get my hair cut once every other year, and that's a simple locks of love cut. I'm not a big tipper and no way am I tipping someone $5 for washing my hair. Honestly, where I get my hair cut, the same girl does it all, and I tip her $5 for the entire service. Yes, I may be cheap, but really I'm not getting a lot of work done and I think charging me $40 for a wash and simple cut is way too much anyway.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• A tip use to be considered a gratuity, but now it seems like it's considered part of the actual bill. I'd rather the proprietor pay the workers more and raise the cost of the services to make up the difference. Tipping is a joke now-a way for the customer to pay for what the business owner refuses to pay!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Right, I know I have to tip the one cutting my hair. I'm just not sure the "rules" for the girl washing my hair. I did tip her, but want to know what is typical.
    elizabr

Comment by elizabr (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010