Would this spoil Future Christmas's?

My husband and I have never been really big on Christmas. We buy little things through the year and have never realy gotten each other anything big. My two year old is of age to know what Christmas is about and we want to make it a big one this year. Please don't misunderstand it's not a money issue. We can afford to buy each other, our family and I daughter christmas. We have always been able to do that. But since we only have one child and she is the only grandchild on Both sides of divorced parents (she has 4 sets of grandparents) We're both okay on not buying each other christmas gifts as we never have in the past. But Do ya think if we go all out not to mention being the only grandchld that we'll be spoiling her in years to come if we get her so much at 2?

alaskaice

Asked by alaskaice at 2:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Just for Fun

• go ahead an spoil her as long as you teach her morals and values in life she'll turn out okay. my parents gave us what ever we wanted but taught us to be greatful for what we had at the same time.
    cryssi_renee

Answer by cryssi_renee at 3:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Kaylee is also the first/only grandchild on both sides of the family, and both sides are also divorced. *sigh* She has 4 sets of grandparents, and THREE Great-grandparents....dear lord...

What we have decided to do for her (she will only be 7 1/2 months at Christmas) is not buy anything just yet. We will go shopping the day after Christmas and get her anything that she needs, but I would imagine with so many proud relatives around that she is not going to need anything.

I can totally see us doing the same thing in the future. Maybe getting her one big present from us, and letting the multiple items come from the rest of the family until someone else has a baby to take the attention off of her.

Hope that helps :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes and no. Yes you will be spoiling it because (atleast we have) it turns into a mental thing, like "well last year we got him a bike, how can we top that?" and no because she will not remember it or appreciate it, she will have ALOT of fun, but it won't make any difference. It might be overwhelming for her too. And you really can't get mad if she has more fun with the wrapping paper and boxes! I think you should do what you want to, either way it will be fun. Just be prepared when she gets older and expects a BIG christmas every year....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• In her later years, you might have to deal with her expecting as many gifts as previous years, or expecting to get everything she wants or asks for. She may not always be the only child/grandchild.. if that's the case. You may not always have the means to fullfill her wants. IMO, if you know she's going to get so much from her grandparents, try asking some of them to get her things she needs.. clothes, shoes, etc. If she's old enough to understand "what x-mas is about", maybe have pick out gifts and donate them or give them to other children. You don't want a spoiled, selfish child in the future. Totally not bashing you.. it's JMO.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 3:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• well the thing is, my husband and I don't plan on having any other kids. My husbands brother is in jail for the nxt 20 years and both my sister and brother are still young. It would be different if I didn't buy her clothes every week (im a big ebayer) and everything else. The thing is..... she really has no age approperiate toys....
    alaskaice

Answer by alaskaice at 3:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• As long as you teach her to be grateful for what she has as she gets older she will be fine. My kids get spoiled at Christmas also.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I would SPLURGE! ...kids stay 2 only once, and pretty soon, we are walking them down the Isle, in tears!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• seeing she is only 2 I don't think it will do anything for future Christmas's. My kids can't tell you about their Christmas at 2. Now when she is 4 I would then watch on what you got her. But not now. Spoil her while she can't remember what you got her the year before. So that way she cannot compare gifts. At least I would.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2008