Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

what are the syptoms of pdd and where do i begin to get my son checked out.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (10)
  • What's pdd?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • Do you mean developmental delay? If so, take him to your family doctor and ask for advice. Depending on the type of delay, different specialists could be recommended.

    Answer by SuperChicken at 7:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • ADD?

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • PDD = Pervasive Developmental Disorder. There are 5 PDDs (Autistic Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified, Rett Syndrome, and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder).

    For the OP, the basic symptoms of a child having a PDD are problems with socialization & communication skills. Some children are more affected than others & the degree to which a child is affected helps with determining the diagnosis, except for Rett Syndrome, which is a genetic disease.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • PDD is Pervasive Developmental Disorder. It used to be the category under which autsim fell. Now they are changing the DSM and having PDD fall under the umbrella of Autism Spectrum Disorder, PDD being a mild form of autism.

    Is this to which you are referring?


    Answer by layh41407 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • butterflyblue19
    Pervasive developmental disorder----
    Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified, or PDD-NOS, for short, is a condition on the spectrum that has those with it exhibiting some, but not all, of the symptoms associated with classic autism. That can include difficulty socializing with others, repetitive behaviors, and heightened sensitivities to certain stimuli.

    I started with my sons primary doctor. She referred us to a developmental pediatrician.

    Answer by TARARENEE at 7:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • Start with your child's pediatrician for an initial evaluation. Other options are a developmental pediatrician, a psychologist (pediatric or school), a neurologist, or a pediatric & adolescent psychiatrist. You can also request an evaluation through your child's public school to address any educational issues.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • We started with a regular ped and were referred to a child psychologist who specialized in ASD. WE started to question our son at age 2 when he had no interest other children, had tantrums that would last for up to an hour and was very invasive of other children's space yet very nervous about them coming towards him. Once we knew what we were looking at more things became apparent. Like lining up cars and other toys for hours, collecting odd things like acorns and leaves then stressing over how to organize them) He was officially diagnosed at 5 with Asperger's.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • can you get the school to help?

    Answer by KTMOM at 9:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

  • Begin at the pediatrician.

    Answer by Pnukey at 12:08 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.