What do you think of the Obama administration's order for indefinite detention of specified Guantanamo detainees?

Read this article and discuss your considered thoughts:

Obama Administration Preparing Order For Indefinite Detention Of Some Guantanamo Detainees
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/21/obama-guantanamo-detainees-executive-order_n_799991.html

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 7:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do believe he spoke rashly when announcing he'd close Gitmo. He has now realized some of these people are a continuing threat and releasing them under any circumstances would indeed be "acting stupidly" That is why they are classified as enemy combatants.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• cleannaturalady ~ I asked a legitimate question. I don't think any of us should make knee-jerk assumptions based on party affiliation or personal bias.

I think that several ladies have already nailed it. He signed off on this to fulfill a campaign promise and then reality sank in and he realized that everyone howling for the release of those prisoners was wrong. That raises the question ~ WHY did it take so long for the left to figure out that terrorists were not ever going to make 'citizen of the year'?

Why was Bush castigated for locking them up and tossing the key? Why were those who wanted them there subjected to being called vile names? And ~ it IS a legitimate question ~ why is Obama given such a pass and patted on the back for finally figuring out what Bush and others already knew? The same people praising Obama are the ones who labeled Bush a moron ... but he figured it out months before the 'smart' one.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think it's just another DOUBLE STANDARD that Bush was "crucified" over, yet is perfectly fine by liberal standards. Obviously Obama spoke a little prematurely and failed to gather ALL the facts about GITMO and the detainees being held under Bush, before signing off on legislation to close the facility, and try and make a name for himself!

One might go so far as to say he "acted stupidly!" LOL :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It's not a "sound-bite." It's the truth. So far, everything he's touched has turned to screwed-up, and I believe he said he was going to close Gitmo the day of his inauguration. Now, he's going to detain some? Give me a break. And,yeah, I know it's a matter of national security. Too bad the one man on the planet who should be treating it with respect is just using it to try and garner votes for 2012. That is what is more disrespectful than anything I can think of.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well, this is something I agree with him on. There are some really bad people in Gitmo..people that don't deserve to be set free.

I knew it would come to this, just as I knew they wouldn't close Gitmo either.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• PBO is practicing what seems to be the Obama/Pelosi/Reid policy of doing business which is "you have to pass the bill to see what is in the bill" mentality. He signed the legislation to close GITMO and then looked into what exactly was going and who exactly was being held there. He puts his carts before his horses and realizes it is backwards. The studies that show that a good percentage of the detainees return to fight us again should be of concern. The fact that the people there are detained because they pose a threat to our national security should have caused him pause, to study, and then to decide what is best. He just signed thinking we would figure out what to do later. We are the ones who pay the price.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It would be easy for any one of us to say ___ failed as President because of x,y or z when that President didn't actually fail, he just had different measuring stick for success.

***

Well perception is often bigger than reality, hence the plethora of public opinion polls!! You can slice and dice the past 60 years worth of presidential leadership and determine who succeeded and who failed based on a number of outcomes!  I love how you can rationalize "one man's failure is another man's success!!"  That's hilarious!! 

Tell me, what did YOU think if Bush's measuring stick for success?!  :o)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/presidential-approval-tracker.htm

(click on the "comparison" tab to view public opinion of 2 -12 presidents during their terms.)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Why was Bush castigated for locking them up and tossing the key? Why were those who wanted them there subjected to being called vile names? And ~ it IS a legitimate question ~ why is Obama given such a pass and patted on the back for finally figuring out what Bush and others already knew? The same people praising Obama are the ones who labeled Bush a moron ... but he figured it out months before the 'smart' one. Answer by Farmlady09.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• So, cbk_mom3, you believe that indefinite detention is what would insure the most votes in the next election? On this issue of course.

He knows many of these people can not be released. He knew that before he was buying votes on the empty promise to try them all in civilian courts and close the base. He also has been backed into a corner with the close call of the last trial and congresses refusal to fund more civilian trials.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Bush lite.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 7:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010