What do you think of the FCC's approval of 'Internet Neutrality' rules?

The FCC vote in favor of rules that would make the Internet accessible on an equal level for everyone. For instance, companies could not give faster service only to those with the ability to pay large fees. And would prevent the owners of the Internet's infrastructure from slowing down service for competing companies applications.

Read the entire article here.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/12/21/fcc.net.neutrality/index.html?hpt=T2

Do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not?

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 7:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's interesting to me that those who seem to fear government takeover of resources have no problem with big business having that same power. The latter is more likely to happen in this country--it already is.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I just think the government needs to stop trying control everything
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I just can't wait to see what the FCC decides to make "ok to delay" and what they think deserves priority. And I sure hope the people with slower infrastructures can't afford many lobbyists, or the entire net will slow down.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• So does this mean that we are now paying for the faster speed internet, but getting the same thing as everyone else? Does that mean that our connection will now be slower because everyone is on the same speed? It seems to me that every time the government gets involved we pay more for less and service quality goes down the tubes.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think it is one step closer to communism. "You will only have access to information we deem acceptable" a la Cuba, China, Russia, and other communist countries.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I don't think any of you really understand what the law does. It ENSURES that companies can't BLOCK OR SLOW DOWN certain websites, ie those of their competitors. Please reread, those of you talking about control. I don't think you understand.

I know exactly what it does, I've explained it multiple times. YOU don't understand - this is about what the infrastructure is capable of vs how the government wants to regulate that infrastructure. The internet is global - there are pieces of it that really are just a step above tin cans and string. This regulation means companies are no longer allowed to downgrade connections from those areas and give priority to faster ones. All this crap about pricing - it's irrelevant - it's the shiny sales pitch they're using to create a mess they don't understand.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It's a very slippery slope. I don't think the FCC has any business regulating the Internet.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I have a sinking feeling that much of this is going to be interpreted as issues come up and that 'we' are going to see a constant rise in price (to cover all those extras that have to be provided to everyone), a consistent lessening of availability/price increases to maintain availability, and regardless of what this law states the providers making a profit regardless. They will have to provide all services and options to all locations ~ whether or not the services are used, or are affordable ... and those in other areas are going to be used to pad the gaps.

I think it sucks.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It will allow Internet service providers to charge customers based on the amount of bandwidth they use. If service providers can charge based on the type of content you watch, they can easily create a system like that of today's cable television market. Want HBO? It's an extra $5. Want a streaming video package, with YouTube, Hulu, TV.com, and more? That's $5 too. Don't pay and you can't watch. The FCC just agreed that they should be allowed to charge based on the amount of bandwidth they use.~Jeremy A. Kaplan

goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• This is basically BS. Nobody is telling them they cannot improve their infrastructure. They are being told that they are not allowed to charge different prices according to how much bandwidth is used.

I never said they were being told that. Could you at least read what I've written? FFS. If a company in Asia connects at the slowest possible speed, this would prevent your ISP from making your requests from the network a priority ahead of the slow connecting company in Asia. If the guy in Asia connects 1/100th of a second before you do, whatever you're trying to do has to wait until he's done. The way it worked before, they could prioritize your medical records or direct deposit to be higher priority than his porn download. Now they have been stripped of that right, disguising it as suggesting they were going to charge you more.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2010