Help me! lol I feel like I am going crazy! Do you have a child with ADD or ADHD? I do and he is 8 and now taking Concerta....I feel like my husband and I are ALWAYS upset..everything we do with our children is frustrating...And there is no way it is suppose to be that way.. sometimes I feel like I am the one who should be on medication! Just wondering if I am the only mom who feels this way?! I love my children so please don't put words in my mouth!

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Best to seek counseling for both of you - raising a kid is never easy, raising an ADD kid is even harder.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Look hun I know what you are going through. I am EXTREMELY ADHD and my son is ADHD. We just had him put on vivance and it seems to be helping. Patience and understanding goes a long way. My poor mother survived me and I am surviving my son. It is possible. Find things that uses his brain power. I find that helps in slowing down the ADHD and helps to relax.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My son is 4 and a half. He has ADHD. It's definitely challenging and doing things can be frustrating. But keep doing them! Believe me, It's exhausting taking my son out, but it's also fun. I take him places I know he'll enjoy (toy store, Humane Society, there's a place called The Bounce Place here in PA, The Discovery Center, an interactive museum). Then, I try to do my grocery shopping or other errands when my mom is available to watch him. I'm not going to tell you that it gets better because I don't know yet that it does. I just know that we have to have patience and keep encouraging them.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My son was diagnosed ADHD when he was 8. He just turned 16. We have good days and we have bad ones. You will all make it through this. My husband and I took a divide and conquer approach. We each take one night during the week to go do something for ourselves. It can not be a chore! I get Wednesday nights from 5 to 10. I can go to dinner with a friend, to a movie or to my knitting group. Whatever I want to help me regroup and decompress. WE cant change ADHD or make it go away. What we can do is realistic expectations of our kids with ADHD. Counseling, medication and a lot of education on the disorder will help you understand what your child is going through. The hardest part for me was coming to grips with the knowledge that Mark is not doing this to hurt me or to be "bad". He is who he is and nothing can change that. He is finally coming into his own and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. You will too!
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 8:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/656 -join us in the Moms with kids with ADHD group
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 8:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i have ADD not to be mistaken with ADHD cuz they are completely different.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 3:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I would get into some therapy to help you cope. Dealing with special needs kids can take a lot out of you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Man you took the question right out of my mouth! I feel like the only conversations I have with my son is me telling him to stop irritating the crap out of me and I feel like a horrible person. But it feels like he really goes out of his way to irritate the crap out of me. He doesnt behave like a normal child whatsoever, he hasnt matured beyond the age of three socially and I have to tell him the same things over and over again every single day like clockwork.
    I think I also need to be the one on meds!
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 1:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• All four of my children had ADHD. The rules must be constant and consistent as must discipline. They need more help with things like study and getting along with other children. You can PM me if you like. My kids are all grown up now and doing well.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 1:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2010