How can I get to have my own space and time?

My three year old is very clingy. Sometimes when I turn around I step on her toes because she is right up my backside. She is constantly needing my attention and if I am doing anything that she is no included on her behavior is terrible. Ex. talking on the phone,etc. I need to have a little time to myself and without it I am completely worn by the end of the day. How can I separate her from me a little bit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Enroll her in preschool. Take her to your parents for an afternoon. Have your husband watch her one evening a week. Invite a friend over for her to play with.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• give her a specific activity to do that she enjoys doing alone. i like to give my kids crayons and then a coloring book and tell them to pick out a page. then i set the oven timer for x amount of minitues and tell them to color that picture and show me when the bell rings. but i won't look at it until the bell rings. then i make a big deal out of how pretty it is. it works for my 2 1/2 yo......it doesn't have to be coloring. anything that she enjoys doing. sometimes it is even building a castle/tower out of blocks. he is pretty good about waiting for the bell.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Nap time, put her in a high chair and put the chair in the room you are in, give her items such as crayons and paper, play dough, etc. to play with in there. While she's keeping occupied, you can get your stuff done too. Otherwise put her to bed early and do your stuff after she gets to sleep.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I second the preschool option- there are many that you can send your child 2-3 days a week for 2-5 hours, depending how much time you feel you need. You could also hire a high school or college "helper" one or two afternoons a week to play with her or keep her occupied while you take some time, even if you don't leave the house. Explain to your husband/ SO (if you have one) that you need some time for yourself- and make sure you take it! If you're her main caregiver she may not feel comfortable with other people, or not know how to amuse herself.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• pre-k or daycare could help a little. not only will u get some "you" time but she will learn how to socialize with kids her own age :) Good luck!
    Platinum_Mommy

Answer by Platinum_Mommy at 2:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• wait did you say 3? she is only doing what comes natural.I raised 3 children all close in age,yes it is hard but time for yourself? I know its hard the only real me time came for me around 1 am.now i'm an incurable late night owl!!! Good luck
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 3:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2010